Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Entry level assessment for playgroup (2 year olds)

I'm sure this has been discussed but if I do a search for baseline or assessment I get a ridiculous amount of hits, so, I starting a new thread. If anyone can signpost me to previous threads, that would be helpful!

I'm studying my EYTS at Uni and we have been discussing entry level baselines and how we know starting points. Currently we do the traditional All About Me, but that doesn't tell us anything in relation to Development Matters/curriculum. I introduced a 4 week observation that focused on how the child had settled in, separation from carer, activities they enjoyed etc.

We then had our Ofsted in November and one of the areas they picked up on were insecure knowledge of starting points due to no entry level data. The observation at 4 weeks wasn't enough.

So, what do you do?

Do you use Development Matters and go through the relevant age band with parents or is it too cumbersome and jargonistic for them? Of course, they'll think their child can do it all (Unless there is a recognised disability/delay)

Our LA support think that we should be able to devise a more parent friendly pictogram (like a flower with 7 petals for the areas of learning) and pick out pertinent things, especially in relation to Prime Areas.

Has anyone got anything they can share?

Thanks, RB x

We do ongoing observations and assessments from a child's first day with us and keep going until we have covered everything we are looking for, i.e. all those things a child of that potentially is able to do - whether they do/can or not. We have put together the things we are looking for based on the Development Matters and other developmental lists. For some things we need to ask the parents because a child of this age may do certain things at home, but not yet with us. When talking to parents we make sure that they understand what abilities we are asking about and ask them to describe situations, e.g. for 'engages in simple role play'.

Hi,

It is difficult as parents don't want to be sitting looking through lots of outcomes and telling us which ones their child can and can't do, there is also not enough time in the day!!

We include some relevant early years outcomes in the all about me, we pick a handful from the three prime areas and ask parents to comment on whether they can and can't do this.

Other than this we observe over a four week period and complete a baseline assessment of things we have seen them do.

Hope this helps

We do 'all about me' with registration pack that has DM's for 3 prime not every DM, we do home visit and chat about development, observations for first three weeks. KW then does a data input into tapestry where they select all DM's they know the child can do and they also hold a parent mtg to cover any gaps they have, parent update, parent aspirations for Their child, then it's added to tapestry. I then lock baseline.

We do an all about me doc that we actually give out to parents at the end of each term to update too so that they can tell us any new info.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)