Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

School charges

josies29

I run a nursery within a school grounds and an OOSC within our adjacent primary school and I wondered if anyone would mind sharing how much they pay to rent the school halls etc?

Is £2,400 a month excessive??

Any responses would be appreciated.

Thank you

Sounds a lot to me but then I have no idea how much rent is. We own our building and pay a peppercorn-rent for the land it stands on to the local Parish Council. Can you remain viable if paying that level of rent?

Presume you claim the early years funding, it does seem odd that they pay you money for childcare and then pay it all back to them in rent.

We have a prefab in school grounds and pay £165 per year rent. We are a charity though.

In a word, Yes, it is excessive. We pay £125 per week for a school hall. Unfortunately schools do not have the sort of commercial awareness that enables them to understand costing in the same way that private landlords do. I have had discussions with many schools over the years about this and their figures vary wildly according to who is working it out. The basis of my discussion with them is always that whatever they get, it is 'on-top' of other income, it is regular and guaranteed, it is at very little cost to them, and it it constitutes good partnership working and community involvement.

So if you had one member of staff for each eight children paying (say £9.00 per session) your staff costs would be approx £34.90 per 8 children per session (allowing £7.50 per hour plus holiday pay and on-costs). Allow a further £10 per 10 children for food and activities and a further £2.50 per 10 children for contingency costs (These are all based on our figures). This gives you £24.60 per hour gross profit for each ten children. Take off that your other costs such as Ofsted Registration/Insurance/Cleaning/DBS checks/staff training/recruitment costs/Equipment - not to mention SSP and additional cover when staff are off sick (a major headache). So you need to work out how many children you would need to have every day (assuming they all pay regularly - which is also a major headache) in order to cover your rent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)