Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Two year old resources

We have £350 pounds to spend on resources/toys for two year olds. What would you buy? What resources do you have that benefit your two year olds and more importantly what do they love? (We take from two and a half)

Inspiration needed please.

Anything they can empty onto the floor!!

(My 2yr olds love filling and emptying and carrying things around)

Scribbling on anything.....dolls, walls, other children, arms.

Postman pat

I seem to have lost all my smilies ;)

And my post editor too :(

• Like 1

blocks

We have the community playthings large hollow blocks and I have also set up a block area using unit blocks etc. So we are well covered on blocks.

Our children are obsessed with our marble run, but this is plastic and quite tricky for them to build. I would really like to purchase a large wooden one (if there is such a thing?) Does anybody know if these exists? I really want to get away from plastic regardless of what we buy.

We have the community playthings large hollow blocks and I have also set up a block area using unit blocks etc. So we are well covered on blocks.

Our children are obsessed with our marble run, but this is plastic and quite tricky for them to build. I would really like to purchase a large wooden one (if there is such a thing?) Does anybody know if these exists? I really want to get away from plastic regardless of what we buy.

Yes there are wooden ones and very lovely they are too - but I do find that as they still have to be constructed (or the one we use) it is less stable than the plastic ones, Just going to see if I can find them online and will put a link to it.

http://www.woodentoystore.co.uk/dept/haba-marble-runs_d01153.htm

As you can see it needs to be constructed and it easily moves about and is quite frustrating, for 2's I would go for something that is completely made as a structure - Lidl have something with cars on it I think called a race track with 4 levels and 4 vehicles

Edited by Panders

Yes there are wooden ones and very lovely they are too - but I do find that as they still have to be constructed (or the one we use) it is less stable than the plastic ones, Just going to see if I can find them online and will put a link to it.

http://www.woodentoystore.co.uk/dept/haba-marble-runs_d01153.htm

As you can see it needs to be constructed and it easily moves about and is quite frustrating, for 2's I would go for something that is completely made as a structure - Lidl have something with cars on it I think called a race track with 4 levels and 4 vehicles

Yes I bought a click clack race way from Sainsburys and they love it and would love something as simple as that but on a bigger scale and no building involved! Think it may have to be a project for my sons GCSE resistant materials project!!

Yes I bought a click clack race way from Sainsburys and they love it and would love something as simple as that but on a bigger scale and no building involved! Think it may have to be a project for my sons GCSE resistant materials project!!

Excellent idea - there are those ones in towers with what looks like jumbo hose for a tumble dryer venting kit wrapped around the tower which the children role tennis balls down.

I have a brother in law who lives in Switzerland and there are so many wooden toys to choose from out there, I still have one tower he gave my eldest son some 26 years ago, it is literally a tower with 4 sides and the marbles go in the top and they "clink clonk" down the different levels as they move round the tower and pop out of a single hole into a dish at the bottom - almost every child in the pre-school has played with it at some point in the last 15 years -

He also gave the boys another marble tower a bit like the click clack one for the cars but for marbles and they rolled from side to side, level to level and when they exited at the bottom of the the marblerun, they rolled into a sectioned off part at one end which gave a score of 5 10,15,20 or 25. alas it hasn't survived.

Edited by Panders

I would look at what you want as play value to complement what you already have. Those fixed marble structures look great, but the play value is more limited than things children can assemble or create in different ways. What are children actually going to do with it? Yes my grandson had one which he loved and loved but on its own it was limited. Perhaps ask yourself if it would enhance and extend what you already have?

Given that you are well covered for blocks, what about extending a range of accessories to go with blocks?

Or if they really love marbles,what about getting some giant marbles (or balls) to create pathways in the blocks for rolling the marbles down and along. There is something about big marbles and wooden balls that seem irresistible to young children (risk assessed of course!).

Alternatively as trekker said, heuristic play stuff, nice baskets and containers, things for children to fill empty tip carry and move, indoors and out.

Enjoy spending...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)