Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

notice period for term-time staff

Hi, I really hope one of you can help me with this:I currently work in a term-time only preschool. I had an interview for a reception post at a lovely near-by school and got offered the post to start in September. My contract has quite a long notice period of 8 weeks, but I gave notice yesterday, so should b free to start on 3rd September. So far so good. However when I handed in my notice, my supervisor said we would need to investigate the notice period, as it should be 8 working weeks during term time. She said even if it doesn't say so in the contract this was implied. Now my husband thinks this is rubbish. What should I do? I look forward to your replies. Poppy

Our contracts do state clearly 4 working weeks notice exactly because of your situation, we had 2 members of staff give their notice in 1 week before the end of summer term a couple of years ago which meant we had to interview etc over the summer holidays which was definitely not ideal.

However if you are unsure of what it says in the contract I would give ACAS a call or do you know which insurance you have and whether it includes legal advice?

If your contract states term time then that is what it means ...if it does not then they have shot themselves in the foot! they cannot say it is implied! contracts have to be clear and transparent. There is very little people can do if you don't fulfil your contractual obligations ...other than refuse a reference. Changes to contracts have to be given for a period of time before they become effective

It would have to state working weeks in the contract.. it cannot be implied..

ours was 6 working weeks, but only once did we hold someone to it as it was Christmas and could not recruit easily over that period..

Ours clearly states working weeks, although I'd rather they leave as soon as possible to be honest. (Unless retiring, moving home etc)

Yes I'm kind of with you there Louby loo. What I found difficult was affording to pay for advertising in the local paper and pay the person's wages who was leaving, in the end when she said her new employer (not another nursery) was rather suspecting I was being difficult - I told her straight that I couldn't do both and if, very sadly, she wanted to leave mid term rather than waiting until the end of the summer term she had better do it. I'm happy to say that we did find an excellent replacement for her as she had been a rather special practitioner.

• Like 1

i think you need to look at your contract - the majority would probably just say x weeks notice but some do say x working weeks. it does make it difficult for you but also i suppose for the setting you are leaving who need to replace you over the summer break