Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

OFSTED registration visit

Hi all,

I hope this is the right place for this.

I am the manager at a preschool which is moving premises and changing its name over the summer so will require a registration visit.

Due to various reasons, I may not be able to make the registration visit in the summer and will need my deputy to go with the company director (a volunteer as we converted from committee to company) as a result my deputy is very nervous about facing ofsted.

Does anybody know what sort of thing they ask and look for when they do a registration visit so I calm her nerves about it all.

thanks xx

From my experience, this visit isn't like an inspection at all. I met them at my new building, showed them around (building work had only just been finished so it wasn't set up as a nursery, just a shell really. She measured up, asked me how we were going to use each room, looked at toilet and kitchen provision, then did the suitable person check asking about my qualifications, experience, and our staff team. She went through a list of questions, all of them easy to answer. We got our registration a week later.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Hi bookworm_nat123

If you have a read of this doc, it should give you an idea of what to expect. It was more or less what the lady from Ofsted went through, when she did our new registration visit. She asked to see staff qualifications, Dbs paperwork, safeguarding knowledge and then as it says in the doc how I would provide the same activity for a 2yr old and 4yr old- so looking for key word differentiation Then we showed her around both inside and outside. Everything in order and so received our certificate 2 weeks later.

Good luck M

EARLY YRS REGISTRATION VISIT GUIDE.doc

EARLY YRS REGISTRATION VISIT GUIDE.doc

I opened a setting in January and had my registration visit in December last year. It took 7 hours!!!! The lady who carried out the visit was very thorough. She sent my Deputy home as it was just with me. I had to provide ID and qualification certificates. And as Manor stated, I had to provide examples of activities for each of the seven areas of learning and development for both a 2 year old and a 4 year old. She even asked me questions regarding the setting where I worked before and how I would make changes within my own setting.

By the time the lady left I was exhausted!! All done though, thankfully :) So, Good Luck with that! I am sure it will be fine...x

I opened a setting in January and had my registration visit in December last year. It took 7 hours!!!! The lady who carried out the visit was very thorough. She sent my Deputy home as it was just with me. I had to provide ID and qualification certificates. And as Manor stated, I had to provide examples of activities for each of the seven areas of learning and development for both a 2 year old and a 4 year old. She even asked me questions regarding the setting where I worked before and how I would make changes within my own setting.

By the time the lady left I was exhausted!! All done though, thankfully :) So, Good Luck with that! I am sure it will be fine...x

Hello

I went through the registration as the nominated person approximately a year ago, it was very intense and lasted over 5 hours. I too was told that it was me that was being interviewed and not the two of us that were the new owners. She allowed my other partner to be there but she was not allowed to answer any questions. They asked so many question on safeguarding.

go to the Ofsted page and they have lots od documents to help you.

Also I am surprised that you don't have to be there otherwise your deputy who is answering questions will be the nominated person and she/he will have to deal with Ofsted in the future

Hello

I went through the registration as the nominated person approximately a year ago, it was very intense and lasted over 5 hours. I too was told that it was me that was being interviewed and not the two of us that were the new owners. She allowed my other partner to be there but she was not allowed to answer any questions. They asked so many question on safeguarding.

go to the Ofsted page and they have lots od documents to help you.

Also I am surprised that you don't have to be there otherwise your deputy who is answering questions will be the nominated person and she/he will have to deal with Ofsted in the future

My visit was 5 hours in March and currently registering for a 4th setting must be crazy lol, it wasn't easy by any means and as stated very very intense.

• Like 1

My visit was 5 hours in March and currently registering for a 4th setting must be crazy lol, it wasn't easy by any means and as stated very very intense.

Hi

I'm not that brave, one setting is enough.

Yes very very intense but worth it in the end, I just freeze sometimes when I am put on the spot, the annoying bit is, I know the answers just mind goes blank. I will state I had an absolutely lovely inspector that was very reassuring and she knew that I had all the answers as sometimes I had already demonstrated them to her. Great Ofsted lady, I wish she comes to do our proper inspection, I would feel more at ease.

My registration visit took about two or three hours I think. It was just over a year ago - seems like a lifetime ago. As others have said she literally worked through the items listed in the registration visit doc that has been uploaded. She was very friendly and the whole thing was quite relaxed. I heard from the LA before I heard from OFSTED with the all clear.

Good luck with it all!

Edited by MarshaD