Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mud kitchen/digging area in a packaway village hall setting.......

We have finally convinced the village hall committee that we NEED a digging area but now I'm not sure how to do it to make the most of the area we have. We have to pack EVERYTHING away when we finish each day so the plan is to create a frame, sink it into the ground then have a 'lid' which we can attach with padlocks so it's not trashed by other hirers. I've got hold of a few 'slices' of tree trunk for seating, I thought we could plant herbs etc along one edge of the area so the children could pick them to add into their play but not sure what else to do.

I'd love the whole sink/'cooker' etc area but it will just get trashed during parties each weekend.

Is anyone else out there from a similar setting? what do you have/do?

I'm also planning a kind of welly tree which we can keep in a secure fenced off area during weekends etc - the plan is only allowing up to 5 children in at a time - no wellies no play sort of thing lol.

Does everyone have all in one suits? We have some old plastic aprons with sleeves I was planning to use as we are on a budget and couldn't afford to buy lots of all in one's.

I have been in talks with our local Tesco who want to be doing work out in the community helping with projects and they are keen to get involved too....... Any ideas or must have's would be greatly appreciated :)

How big is your garden , would the village hall committee not allow you an area you could fence off to use as your own ? We are fortunate that we have sole use of the outside area, we maintain it , we installed doors directly out to it and there fore it's ours as such, no hirers can use it.

We currently have 2 old tractor tyres with ply lids to put compost in.

. Water supply - water butt

Have a look at mud kitchens on FB and also muddy hands website .

Regarding aprons , we have some tabard style old ones but to be honest I find they hinder play , hence our motto is dress for mess

Edited by lashes2508
  • Like 2

We are a pack away pre school in a church hall our mud kitchen is an old wooden kitchen that had been stuck in shed and not used for years !

I place a large plastic sheet on floor ( we only have use of a car park which is closed of by a large gate).

The mud kitchen is in the large shed ,i carry it out and put on top of plastic sheet.

I then have a large recycling box full of bits and pieces for them to use .

I fill up the bowl in the kitchen with top soil every session or when it needs refreshing.

• Like 1

We tried it but our 'little cherubs' wouldn't keep the soil where they should (I know they should be able to move with it but being packaway you have to think of the landlords!)

Anyhow after numerous 'tellings off' by our landlords we just gave up it was such hard work for the staff trying to contain the mess and they strongly informed us that they weren't happy - But then neither was Mrs O happy that we didn't have one!

We can't win on this one :(

:( That's very unfair.........

I know and even though I listed off things that we do with growing admittedly all as small group work and sent home (although parents sent photos of how things were growing) it wasn't enough :(

Can't remember seeing a mud kitchen mentioned in the regulations thumper rabbit???

Exactly what a LEA advisor said to me as well and in hindsight I should have challenged it even more than I did but ... hey ho we still got a 'good'

• Like 1

I know and even though I listed off things that we do with growing admittedly all as small group work and sent home (although parents sent photos of how things were growing) it wasn't enough :(

Exactly what a LEA advisor said to me as well and in hindsight I should have challenged it even more than I did but ... hey ho we still got a 'good'

Maybe Inspector had recently had mud kitchen training! They do get bees rather stuck in their bonnets sometimes.

• Like 3