Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Phonics knowledge...

Hi folks,

I wondered if I could get some view on the best approach for one of our pre-schoolers. She is very bright and reading independently. She forms most letters correctly and wants to write all the time.

what I'm finding though is that she wants it all to be correct and won't use her own knowledge to sound out what she wants to write, so she's asking all the time 'what comes next'.

I'm not really sure of the preferred route!

Would it be better for me to tell her which letter to write?

Or encourage her to make her own attempts?

Any advice would be very much appreciated! I'm writing reports and was going to discuss this point - but as mum is a Reception teacher, I wanted to check that what I was saying was the most appropriate

Many thanks in advance.

Have you asked Mum what strategies she is using at home? Surely this is happening there too. You need to be doing the same as at home yearly, so as not to confuse the child. If I were you, I'd ask Mum's opinion on the appropriate next steps with this

I agree with Cait and would do the same, but think that it is important that children attempt at doing things they don't yet master, such as to use their phonic knowledge to write words they don't know how to spell. Perhaps to ask 'what do you think' before saying 'what comes next'?

As above - I would encourage her to write what she thinks so she is using her phonic knowledge - my Year R's at present are veree hapee using their ee digraph everywhere they can and as long as its phonetically meaningful that's just fine by me.

I do get upset however when they write 'igh went to the ...' that's a trigraph too far!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)