Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Moving premises

We are currently in a chapel, which has just been put up for sale (anyone got a spare £300k to buy it for us?! No?) We are desperately trying to find a new building, still in the same area, but in a small rural Yorkshire village, that's hard!

When (and if) we find something, what is the time scale for changing registration and checking suitability with Ofsted? Could they actually refuse a registration? I've emailed them but thought I'd get a true picture from people who have been through it!

Also, has anyone any experience of time scale for planning applications? We've got our eye on an old mill unit but it's a shell. I think we need a change of use but as it's to an education establishment, it's an easier process than other planning applications? Is that right?

The chapel is being marketed as vacant possession from September but we've got a rolling term notice period and haven't heard anything from the owners as far as notice, so we're hoping we can stay til Christmas (crossing fingers!)

Thanks.

RB x

We are in a very similar situation. I started a thread on it but not sure how to link it. Sorry

I've just found it - thanks!

I've had a response from Ofsted and I was hoping that there would be a transfer of premises inspection as everything else is staying the same. However, it counts as a brand new registration, all our previous Ofsted reports are void and we basically didn't exist! It can take up to 25 weeks to get the new registration through, so we could be in deep trouble.

Isn't there still that clause that allows settings to operate for 2 hours without registration? I'm sure we used that when we were in that position. If the sessions were two hours or less, then there was no need for registration. We only had to do it a couple of days and did two sessions a day with a break in between. Ofsted moved really quickly and a Continuity of Provision clause that our inspector found enabled us to get back to normal operating!

• Like 1

Isn't there still that clause that allows settings to operate for 2 hours without registration? I'm sure we used that when we were in that position. If the sessions were two hours or less, then there was no need for registration. We only had to do it a couple of days and did two sessions a day with a break in between. Ofsted moved really quickly and a Continuity of Provision clause that our inspector found enabled us to get back to normal operating!

I guess that is an option for the interim - how did you run your sessions? 9-10-59? Then how long did you have a break for - did the parents have to come back and then let the children stay again for another 1.59hrs? A lot of our children attend for the 3 full days that we offer (9-3) so I think we would have some looking for alternative childcare as they do use us so they can go to work, rather than just the social side of being a playgroup.

Would love to hear more about how you managed it as we need to have a plan b,c and d,...!

Thanks x

You need to ram home about the continuity of provision side of things.

Luckily, parents were very understanding. What we actually did was have the session for 2 hours and then have parents come in for half an hour story and song time and chit chat. Our sessions are only 2.5 hours long anyway, so it didn't hit us that hard. Nobody checked what we actually were doing, so they didn't see the 'nephew and two nieces' that stayed over the lunch hour with staff for the afternoon session......

• Like 1

We moved last year and I am sorry to say it was a nightmare! You have to register from scratch in new premises so you are at the mercy of Ofsted's timings. I can't remember the time frame they quoted but it was months rather than weeks! We started the process in the summer term but thanks to a very supportive committee who pestered Ofsted to death, we managed to get up and running for September. They key for us was having committee members who were willing to spend the time getting their paperwork in place quickly.

Just seen the follow up, Ofsted did quote a similar time frame to us but we achieved it in far less - it can be done! God luck!

Edited by RustyFox

Hi. We opened for less than 2 hours per day whilst waiting for registration. Plus, yes we could not accept the funding until it had happened. I cant remember exactly how long it took but it was quite a while. We were told though that if you move premises and its the same postcode then re-registration is not required. Would have to be a close building though!

Yes. We had a new building placed next door to the old one, moved into the new one and the old one was removed. The joy of modular buildings!☺

I must admit that communication with ofsted was a nightmare. Initially we were told we had to go through an inspection before we could open again which could take weeks. Each time we rang it was a different response. In the end there was no action.

I got a phone call today to say they are ready to do our registration inspection, I only submitted the application on Friday! He said there will be a 6 week turnaround from now until the certificate arrives unless there is a problem at the inspection. They said it quicker because I am already the registered person for our current preschool and so it's only the address that's changing. Fingers crossed it's this quick for you too!

• Like 1

Thanks for all your responses. Our chair spoke to our LA today who said that it can be turned around in 8 weeks, but Ofsted have to say 25 weeks as there could be complications and delays.

Nice to hear how you managed and survived through the changeover period too.I can't see the 2 hour slots working for us in reality. We have 24 children am/pm so I can't see all 24 parents coming back for a half an hour period to go again when they are used to leaving them for 6 hours. But, you never know - they might rather do that to show their support for us whilst there is a period of waiting for registration. Going to visit potential premises tomorrow night, so we'll see what that results in.

I got a phone call today to say they are ready to do our registration inspection, I only submitted the application on Friday! He said there will be a 6 week turnaround from now until the certificate arrives unless there is a problem at the inspection. They said it quicker because I am already the registered person for our current preschool and so it's only the address that's changing. Fingers crossed it's this quick for you too!

That's great news - hope it all goes well for you!

now don't want to be another harbinger of doom but we started our registration process at Easter and were still not ready for the first two weeks of term! we had to do 2 hour slots at first which was ok as we do mainly sessional care. Good liuck!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)