Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

child collection records

We have an I.D. password system at preschool which means that no one without the password can collect children from pre-school. Years ago we used to use a collection book to log who as picking up if it was someone other than parents. I found it in the cupboard and was going to bin it but the manager thinks we should still have one even if we don't actually use it......I think that our password system is enough...do we still need the book even though we don't use it? no one ever signs it as all adults collecting know the passwords and we have never had a problem with that. Advice will be greatly received x the recycling bin is calling! B)

Thought we needed written evidence of who was picking up - I have standard ones on the Registration Form, but an additional fill in form when another mum or friend picks up. Although they may have your password do you have their telephone number etc. in case they forget to pick up or are late for some reason?

Yes I'm with Panders - there is a list on Registration form and then if anyone else is to pick up - it is to be written in child's Daily Contact book or in an emergency a text message is acceptable - oh should say we have a password system too.......

We have both , you need written permission if it is not an authorised person .

For example - Johnny mum can't collect but aunty Pat will be that day so mum signs form to say who is collecting that day and also verbally tells staff member , we have not met Aunty Pat so mum makes sure Aunty has password as we don't know what she looks like.

And aunty pat is not an authorised person on Johnnys admission form.

Other example: Johnny mum phones or text to say she can't collect but Aunty Pat will , again we don't know who she is but she has been given the password by Mum .

Remember , anyone could gain access to a child's password , silly as it sounds , a random guess of a pet etc

Today's example we had - parent phoned to say another former parent we know was collecting her child , I got her to text confirmation too. Person who was collecting then phoned to say she had locked herself out and could not collect.

Another parent then turned up and said she would take her own child and this other one to the person who should have collected , we had to say no as no authorisation from parent , we tried calling parent but to no avail so authorised person had to come and get child.

The risk was too great and despite knowing a parent well , we don't know if they have not had an argument or if they should have an accident .

Edited by lashes2508
  • Like 1

Yes - we also have section on registration form, passwords and a box on the daily signing in / out sheet (we dont have daily contact books). If there is a regular pick up e.g. nanny on a Thursday, or mum is expecting a baby and there is arrangements in place, we get parents to write a letter which goes on child's file.

• Like 1

Part on childs form listing people authorised to collect, password. If someone collecting who is not on sheet we use password and ask parent for description of person, our policy is we do not accept different collections by text only in person or by phone call as anyone could text in (that's just us not saying it's not acceptable for others). If said new person fails to collect on time we contact parents and/or emergency contact people so they can then make decision as to what happens next. x