Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff suitability declaration- queries on staff answers

Hi all

Have asked staff to complete the document and got one staff that has been banned from driving and one that is taking long term medication.I take it the first does not affect her working with children and what should I be looking for for the second one? I think I need to comment on the forms to say if the staff are still suitable? Any advice appreciated.

I'd do like Finleysmaid and complete a risk assessment. I would ask what the medicine is and what it is for so you can check on the internet if the information is accurate. If it is nothing that would cause any difficulty looking after children, then the risk assessment would show that. If there could be any difficulty, they the staff member would have to ask their GP to provide relevant information.

As someone who has had to take a medicine that can traditionally be used for depression, but in my case was actually prescribed by a gastroenterologist for something completely different, I would be a bit irritated if a non medical person (my employer) googled my medication and came to a conclusion about me without any medical knowledge whatsoever!!!

Surely getting referral to occupational health is the appropriate response?

Cx

• Like 2

I would probably just ask if they have clarified with the Dr that they are ok to work and need no adaptions to work life to be able to carry out their job role, if they say yes then they are signing to say they have done, if they say no then I would tell them to go and ask there Dr asap, Our LA is very clear that we have to put the onis on the individual to ask the Dr and follow through, aslong as I can be seen to have asked and advised member to seek advice in reference to their condition that is all I can do. If in light in the future somerhing happened the staff member can be shown to have been asked and told its up to them to seek advice and all responsibility for this then lies with them.

It was delivered to settings in our LA nearly 2 years ago and staff have been aware of their responsibilities ever since, I do not feel I need to know what meds they are on if they do not want to tell me as long as it doesn't impact in any way on their job/saftey etc.

If I can find our LA details in this I will post but it is ages ago so I have archived it (lost it lol) x

• Like 1

[quote name="catma" post="411423" timestamp="1430943651

As someone who has had to take a medicine that can traditionally be used for depression, but in my case was actually prescribed by a gastroenterologist for something completely different, I would be a bit irritated if a non medical person (my employer) googled my medication and came to a conclusion about me without any medical knowledge whatsoever!!!

Surely getting referral to occupational health is the appropriate response?

Cx

Catma, I am in exactly the same situation as you regrading my medication, I am also the manager and I know how difficult it can be to have sensitive discussions with staff about any medication they are taking. luckily for me my staff keep me fully informed of what has happened during health visits and medication they take and all appropriate forms are completed. I can see how it would be easy for employers to 'jump to the wrong conclusion' if they just saw the name of any prescribed medication.

Carol

Edited by Carol

Catma i would have no idea how to refer to occupational health for pre-school...any idea?

I have not had to google the medication as the member of staff gave me the info leaflet and together we decided that at the times she takes the medicine she should not be left alone with the children (possible dizzyness)and that she would be unable to administer medication (needle injection for child) as she may not be able to focus on the correct quantities. This was agreed between us and staff are only told on days she is not allowed to do first aid (but not why IYSWIM!)