Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Book help needed please

I have a young child 2 .5 who is being cared for my grandma , mummy is in her majesty's service and has frequently broke bail but in between seeing child briefly , I need a book to help support him , any suggestions please

Also one of my parents/ friend has just been diagnosed with breast cancer and is having a mastectomy , he is 4 yrs old , any books to support this too please .

Thank you

Hi might be worth looking at action for prisoners families website, there are a few children's books on there.

There is also a book called mummy's lump that might be useful.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

Do you feel that stories about these things really help?

I have to say (IMO) that i have never once had a child who can relate these things to themselves .

I have a little one who lost her Mum from a brain tumour...we have read a story about a Hippo that dies and leaves his friends .....she shows no connection of course as she is not a hippo!!!!!! the same could be said for badgers parting gift etc etc

And of course for children of this age it is their reality....they do not see themselves as different until someone points it out. Drawing attention to this as being an 'issue' may not be helpful.

Only my thought of course!

• Like 1

I get where your coming from FM but I don't want a book that does not relate ,

Mum has asked us herself re her diagnosis and sometimes a visual picture can help and some children not all can relate to a book with the facts not a story that is using another animal but is relevant to them.

The younger child is getting very confused as until grandma gets guardianship , his mum comes back and forth pushing him to call her mummy and then breaks bail and goes back inside, his understanding is limited and I thought a book rather than words would support his understanding.

In the past we have used books for a child whose parents had spilt and a member of staff used it with her children , it is a prompt for them to discuss their feelings often an area that gets overlooked only to rear itself later on in not always a positive way.

• Like 1

Of course they should always be encouraged to discuss and chat about these things. We have an ELSA working with our little one at the moment and unfortunately another one of our little ones lost his Mum last night...i cannot tell you how devastated we all are :( To lose one Mum in a year is terrible to lose two in the same group unthinkable. Any support we can offer children is of course needed but i just dont seem to find stories work for my cohort.

How sad Finleysmaid.

We have lost 3 mummies in my time at pre-school, two to cancer and sadly one suicide.

Each time devastating for everyone.

We have always listened to the families wishes and taken it from there.

We did use books for one family with two children with us, but not for the others.

We also loaned some resources from our Sen team.

Of course they should always be encouraged to discuss and chat about these things. We have an ELSA working with our little one at the moment and unfortunately another one of our little ones lost his Mum last night...i cannot tell you how devastated we all are :( To lose one Mum in a year is terrible to lose two in the same group unthinkable. Any support we can offer children is of course needed but i just dont seem to find stories work for my cohort.

Oh fm - my sympathies to all - how sad.........

Have you thought about doing the childs own story? Using simple stick figures, simple wording, how it made him/her feel etc

And explaining the situation in child friendly words.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)