Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily diaries

How many of you don't do them? My staff constantly moan about them , I do a whiteboard outside to tell parents what we do all day and what snack etc but I know ofsted are really keen on them but they take up so much time that could be used for interacting with children!

I introduced one for a particular child whose mother was paranoid that something had happened to their child at school, child would come home saying..." so and so hit me, I bumped my knee, my name card is missing " etc and would constantly be ringing the manager to check up on food intake. I introduced a simple sheet to fill in, Dad has since said mum suffers from anxiety disorder and the sheet really helps her. I have another over protective parent who I might start one with. I would not like to have to fill this in for every child at preschool! lol but I used to when I was a child minder many moons ago.

We used to use them but only had a couple of parent who would actually write in them. We also did (tried to do) a daily board but this sometimes got forgotten if we had had a busy day so now put a daily round up on Orbit and send it to all the parents of the children who are in that day. I thought this was going well as it's used in conjunction with observations and pictures but I have had one parent who wants us to do the diary just for her child (in twice a week) as the daily round up doesn't tell her specifically what her child has done. :blink: I have tried to tell the parents that it is a springboard for them to talk to their children about their day by knowing what we have had out to play with, what songs we have sung, books read, snack eaten etc etc etc but she feels that she doesn't get enough information about 'HER' child........ I really am resisting this.

• Like 2

We use a diary for our under three's if parents want them - some do, some just prefer verbal feedback. Each key person talks to whoever collects the child every day they attend. We never let anyone leave without making sure we have spoken to them. This can get a bit hectic at popular pick up times (e.g 3.30pm) but we pride ourselves on speaking to everyone.

We have a board in the entrance area which informs parents of snack & talk to parents at pick up time

We use Tapestry & I ask staff to try & post at least one photo per day of a child enjoying themselves.

We did trial communication books a few years ago it didn't work for us in our 3hr session only one parent out of about 25 at the time used it

Ofsteded a few weeks ago and inspector never asked if we used them

• Like 2

No we don't use them and have no intention of introducing them. Our parents have daily contact with their child's keyperson. Much rather my staff were interacting with the children all session that filling in something that might say " Billy did this.". Any significant events are recorded by photo, obs and this is placed in their LJ to share.

I agree Ofsted like many things, but it doesn't necessarily mean it's right for you.

We also have a snack board and regular photo boards.:)