Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

suitability of staff form

blondie

Hi

I am a new Manager and new to the forum...

I gave similar forms out last week, the only difference was that each question said 'Have you ever been cautioned or convicted' not 'Have you been cautioned or convicted'

One new member of staff (Her son attends the Pre-School so we've known her for a while) answered no to all questions, only for her DBS to arrive the following day stating she has a caution for 'Battery' which as yet, is not spent (It was against an adult, but if you lose your temper and lash out???)

The problem I have is that she signed it as being a true declaration. (I'm very pleased it's the Easter break) This is not the sort of problem I expected to encounter ever, let alone in my first few weeks in charge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how I can accept the 'no' answers in relation to her husband as being true? (I am also waiting for her NI number and proof of qualifications which she has lost!! Alarm bells going off but she knows alot of people/parents.....)

Many thanks

Sue

Hi

I am a new Manager and new to the forum...

I gave similar forms out last week, the only difference was that each question said 'Have you ever been cautioned or convicted' not 'Have you been cautioned or convicted'

One new member of staff (Her son attends the Pre-School so we've known her for a while) answered no to all questions, only for her DBS to arrive the following day stating she has a caution for 'Battery' which as yet, is not spent (It was against an adult, but if you lose your temper and lash out???)

The problem I have is that she signed it as being a true declaration. (I'm very pleased it's the Easter break) This is not the sort of problem I expected to encounter ever, let alone in my first few weeks in charge. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. I don't know how I can accept the 'no' answers in relation to her husband as being true? (I am also waiting for her NI number and proof of qualifications which she has lost!! Alarm bells going off but she knows alot of people/parents.....)

Many thanks

Sue

Personally I wouldn't let her start work until it is cleared up, you need to sit down with her and have a serious discussion. There is a form from Ofsted about waivers on disqualifications which may be a good starting point. (I think someone uploaded here in the last week or so).

Welcome to the forum, Sue! :) What a conundrum you're facing.

She may not have realised that all offences will turn up on a DBS, and not just those relating to children. However as louby loo says, you need to have a talk to her and see what she says.

What do her references say?

I've had a similar situation before - but in this case it was something that happened way back in the person's youth and she didn't expect it to show up because it was 'spent' long ago. Trouble is, no offences are considered 'spent' when it comes to a DBS check, and she was absolutely mortified.

Back then I concluded that she wasn't a risk to the children or staff and so I employed her and I don't regret it for a second.

Hope this is all sorted out for you soon!

Hi sue, welcome to the forum. Tough start to your management role.

First, I would suggest you don't let the fact that parents know this person affect your judgement. You have a duty to recruit safely and anyone worth their place in your setting should completely understand that you need to be robust in your processes. It may well be that she is unaware what would come up on the DBS and so you need to speak to her. Regarding the national insurance number that should be on the application forms and so she should know that she would need to provide it. Same with qualifications. If she has started already you would need to explain to her that you can't count her in ratio until you have them, and give an amount of time to get them. She must know that she will need them sooner or later. Hopefully all quite innocent and she will turn out great as maz's colleague did, but if it isn't you will be glad you asked further questions.

Good luck with it

• Like 1

Hi Everyone.

Thank you very much for all the good advice. She certainly didn't expect the 'caution' to show up as she thought it would be 'spent' after 5 years when it's actually 6 years.

However she still said 'no' to the question on the declaration which asked if you have ever been cautioned and signed it. Maybe I'm being over cautious as this is all new to me.

I will speak to her.

Thank you again.

Termly sounds a bit unmanageable!

We ask our staff to complete the form annually, but it also includes a section that says they must inform management immediately if they are cautioned etc. They have to sign specifically against this stipulation.

• 2 weeks later...