Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Home corner 'situation' ideas

Hi,

I need to think of some 'situations' to enhance the home corner with. The play has become a bit repetitive unless there's adult involvement so I need to 'shake it up!" a bit!

I've done 'Meet the midwife' using the baby clinic items etc. which has gone down well as they LOVE the babies!

Any other ideas? (my brain is not working!)

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Could be a question for your families - find out where the children go regularly - so that they have an interest and an idea and you can also talk to them to clarify some misunderstandings they get sometimes. How many children regularly attend baby clinics these days - I'm not sure, how many go to the library regularly, they may be familiar with a doctor's surgery, they might be familiar with a vet or dentist. I think it's tricky - have you asked the children if there is anything they would like?

Thanks, Panders.

I did 'meet the midwife' as a number of children had recently become big brothers/sisters and have seen the midwife/health visitor coming to their house so it was more for them to role-play that than going to a baby clinic. We have a vets in the role-play area at the moment and change this area with interests. The home corner is permanent so I'm trying to think of situations or problems or additions to develop the play further.

Green Hippo x

• Like 1

Do you have a low level display board in the area?

If so perhaps as it's spring it's time to do a spot of 'decorating' and they could 'make over' the board, you could do some roller painting (large arm movements) on the board and decorate some picture frames to go on it putting their photos in the frames, make a flat screen TV as well!

• Like 1

Hi we have explored the dentist, vets, baby clinic, doctors, library, home, hairdressers, builders yard, chinese restaurant, the artic weather, post office, green grocers. We generally link it to an interest or comment a child or children have made. The main thing is to have as many resources as you can to hand. So over the course of many years we have made posters, booklets, magazines to add as enhancements.

We also try to have visitors in too to expand a child's knowledge, so we might invite the dental surgery staff to come in, the librarians visit us too. Hoping to get the fire and police service in soon.:)

We also have role play and home corner and i think you are really asking for ideas for the home corner....yes?

This week i have added food (we can't do real food) but i have cut out discs from food magazines with things like noodles/meatballs/chinese dishes/fruit salad etc etc. They are mounted on card and to increase the letter recognition for the more able have written on the back a simple explanation (ie meatballs) so that they can identify. We often have recipe books in there too.

The telephone/fax machine is going down well in there at the moment and the mobile phones are a big hit. We sometimes change the room setting for this area in to the 'lounge' or bedroom ....we've even added a garden to it before. The wide screen telly and remote controls we made went down a storm! and we use lots of finds from charity shops to enhance the play. I bought a rather nice tea set on a tray the other week for £3 ...looks like silver (wish it was!!) that's been a big hit too.

If i get a chance i'll try and take some photos..

• Like 2

just realised of course that none of these are ideas are situations as such!!! sorry must be monday morning! i suppose you could have people round for a coffee?(invitations and kettles etc) spring cleaning (schedules of jobs/dusters) i love the decorating idea! Kichen refit? build a new kitchen from boxes?

• Like 2

Okay so keeping it as a "home environment" could you allow the children to have the playdough in there and be cooks, chefs. Are you able to use real tools and make fairy cakes.

Real equipment always goes down well so telephones, mobiles, redundant computer keyboards, remotes, cameras,

Could you have a list of jobs that need doing in the home and replicate the tasks, so mopping floors, our children loved helping to do this, vacuum carpets, ironing, make the beds, washing clothes and hanging them out to dry. Or mend an item with screw drivers hammers etc, obviously supervised.

Ooh has just given myself some ideas too. Lol.:)

• Like 3

just realised of course that none of these are ideas are situations as such!!! sorry must be monday morning! i suppose you could have people round for a coffee?(invitations and kettles etc) spring cleaning (schedules of jobs/dusters) i love the decorating idea! Kichen refit? build a new kitchen from boxes?

Oh ours could re-design the kitchen all the wooden units are movable and we have some huge sheets or cardboard from boxes for them to paint as well.

Obviously they could have junk mail delivered - almost daily to deal with, they could fill in bills and banking slips. Think about hobbies which go on in the home, we have a dog basket, bowl etc and dog in ours. Lunch boxes for the families packed lunches, I also keep takeaway menus in the draw too.

• Like 1

Add a birthday box so they can have a celebration.

I think small changes make a big difference in children's play, have a differing form of mark making each day.

A change of phone and props our pink Barbie phone changed the whole role-play.

Add props from a favourite story that is based in the home the tiger who came to tea springs to mind.

• Like 3

Add a birthday box so they can have a celebration.

I think small changes make a big difference in children's play, have a differing form of mark making each day.

A change of phone and props our pink Barbie phone changed the whole role-play.

Add props from a favourite story that is based in the home the tiger who came to tea springs to mind.

oh yes i forgot all about our birthday box - will have a look for that tomorrow!

• Like 1

i'm laughing as i look at it...the whole thing must have cost about £30! the table was a find from a charity shop, the material came from a sari shop on sale, my tea set ive told you about, the cooker was a donation from a posh nursery getting rid of their 'old' things!! a few ikea bits an old fax machine, diaries from the post office ...now out of date etc etc

• Like 1

Thanks!

I knew you'd be able to think of ideas! Unfortunately, we are unable to have the play-dough in this area as it is on the carpeted area. I have mulled over, moving it to the hard floor to allow for this but there isn't enough hard floor for all the other areas that definitely 'need' it!

I like the idea of a jobs list - they like adding their name to lists at the moment and we have been looking at recognising our friends' names.

Have done Birthdays, that's always the one I think of first! Suewhit - what differing forms of mark-making to you provide? I have shopping lists, recipes, phone number/message sheets and some other more specific ones e.g. invitations. Other ideas would be great!

Thanks so much again.

Love your space Finleysmaid - much the same size as mine. It is next to the role-play so sometimes we extend e.g. having a bedroom or bathroom or do something different - shop/vets/doctors/opticians etc

Green Hippo x

Much the same as you green hippo like the invites for home corner usually we have them in the mark making area. Diary, wipe clean calendar, kitchen chalk board we have a xmas countdown one too, desk jotter we get free ones from the office firms sometimes, when we had a café I know its not home corner, we used till rolls to tear off and peg on a line for orders we run an after school club so our role play needs to meet this age group too the little ones loved it. I cant remember the name but the etch a sketch wipe down things go well in a kids bedroom role play need more than one though or they argue .

really interested in this post need fresh ideas .

Sue x

We always have a a home corner to come home to, regardless of what other role play is going on.

We currently have a hospital, so it's nice to go home after treatment!!!

This means we have two areas that need constant input but it has always worked well for us!

• Like 2

Love a bargain and love your home corner :1b

Are you a packaway setting Finleysmaid? Just wondering who puts the ceiling drape up everyday if you are :P

No not packaway ..but have spent years in a very small space and two of my assistants are from packaway so we are always alert to the issues it may cause!....having said that we are all considering joining the netball team as we are getting quite good at lobbing! The hall is for our own use but we do pay handsomely for it!...we need to do lots of additional things to pay for the rent and upkeep :(

Glad you like it though :1b

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)