Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long Term Plan Nursery

Please can you tell me what you include in your Long Term Plans for your Nursery setting.

We will be following the Dimensions Curriculum on a two year cycle, so I will (a year at a time) detail the theme titles ie Home Sweet Home, but just wondered whether anyone includes anything else?! or whether there is anything else I MUST include on a LTP.

Thanks

We don't have a Long Term Plan anymore.....due mainly to being 'very EYFS' : / and go with child initiated/led learning, following their individual learning plans and interests. Each term we put in the obvious eg popular customs/celebrations and our Objective Led planning, taken from gaps in learning amd consolidation of skills etc. By the way, not heard of Dimensions Curriculum, tell me more.....!

No long term plan here either although I have a list of special days, national days, festivals, holidays, celebrations and fundraisers etc and if it works in with what the children are interested in then we may bring them in to the planning :)

My long term plans just has parents meetings, open, dates, fire drills, supervision, updates ans policy reviews only no plans for topics or themes.

Funny how nobody has a long term plan just when I was thinking of initiating one again!

Our manager is newly qualified, our deputy is an old hand and very bossy, we also have one unqualified, one who was praised by Ofsted and another one who tends to back the deputy.

So, I thought a return to written plans setting out topics in a very loose way might help everyone to refocus on what they're supposed to be doing instead of the bickering and over ridding thats currently taking place.

It will still be about the children but Mrs O did say we've gone too far in allowing the children complete free rein so planning like this might help draw that back a bit.

It will help the new manager to see the year ahead (she's missed the Easter stuff we generally do) if that was planned then fine, but I have a feeling she forgot.

Deputy will see things written down and not be so carte blanch about changing things.

Other staff will know they have ONE boss who leads.

I know its going backwards but it can just be for a year or two while everyone gets back to what they should be doing.

So any old examples of Long and Medium term planning you can point me the direction of??

• Like 1

Our long term plans are a simple bullet list with things like to implement all standards, principles and areas of learning of the EYFS, to involve all parents/staff in the implementation, to reflect the interests of the children, to support leaning and development etc - 14 short statements. Medium term is done in the same way but includes things like two way communication process, reflective practice and short term (weekly) includes, supporting individual needs, enhance activities, clear planning etc etc. All on one A4 sheet!

• Like 1

I always use a LTP as I like to have at least some control over what the children are learning and ensure curriculum coverage.

Have sent a PM naomis and Rea

Like ancaster, I tend to think of the LTP as the how you implement the EYFS, so thereby linking to your values and ethos, rather than the 'stuff' of curriculum content, as this I don't think can really be planned a year in advance.

Rea I was surprised to read your manager is newly qualified, thought they had to have minimum 2 years experience. Did I misunderstand?

• Like 1

No idea Mundia, she was the only candidate and had trained with us for two years. Mrs O didnt mention her qualification and she'd read through all the staff record folders checking qualifications etc :huh:

My long term plans are my continuous provision sheets for each area, that's it. Gosh think I've taken stripping paperwork back literally lol.... Our medium term are staff plans for key worker ideas for their children and staff work in twos to cover other things such as Easter this is also classed as our medium then we have weekley plans. X

We don't have any planning at all. We have some guidance notes for staff-members which is taken from the children's next steps. We have a document that will provide weekly guidance, but l never stick to it. For example, we started off with rice play on Monday and today we added tubular pasta and presented the activity on builders trays. It was such a success. Hence, tomorrow we are going to add some colour into it by adding colourful grains like pulses, lentils, etc, metal and wooden spoons. We are also asking the children to bring in a few of their small cars so that they can use them to make tracks. I explained to the Ofsted inspector that the planning is just a document to guide the staff-members and we use children's next steps to inform forthcoming activities. She agreed. You can be downgraded if you pre plan too far ahead for children's learning.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)