Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Lovely questions

Froglet

Don't know whether it was the effect of finally seeing a touch of sunshine but today my children have been full of some brilliant questions. After lunch we ended up sat on the carpet (all calm and engaged) for about 40 minutes because they just kept asking question after question. Some of my favourites include:

Why does the candle go out when you put that thing (the snuffer) over it?

How does food get into my belly?

How does electricity get from the light switch to the light when they are so far apart?

and my favourite which I couldn't answer!

Why do people say 'the alarm's gone off' when it starts? i.e. shouldn't we say 'the alarm's gone on'?!

There were a couple later on who were in full on 'challenging' mode (and one of them completely broke one of our outdoor benches by jumping on it!) but the questions reminded that fun things do happen!

• Like 3

Fabulous. I remember times like that!

One that particularly comes to mind was when some marbles had slipped down between two cupboards and three boys were trying to work out how to get them without bothering me as I was busy. I was actually writing down what they were saying! They tried to reach but couldn't, looked at each other's arms for length, still couldn't reach and worked out arm was too fat, so looked again to find the thinnest arm, even engaging another child who apparently had thinner arms. They went looking for things that would reach and tried a pipe cleaner - too flibby-flobby. A pencil? Not long enough, a few bits of Lego stuck together - now there's bits of Lego stuck too. They were just about to give in and ask for help when a girl brought a ruler across and gave it to them to try, and it worked. They were do pleased with themselves. It was so brilliant watching the problem-solving and real sustained shared thinking going on. Magic!

• Like 8

Love it Cait. Think I need to set up some problems to solve - my current lot are still far too reliant on trying to get me to sort their problems out. One little boy though has finally got his head round sharing today and came to me several times to ask for the timer "so we can be fair sharing the superman cloak".

That's great. :)

This reminds me of last week when I took story time asking the children what they had played with and learnt today. One little fellow said I've learnt to share, this brought a tear to my eye as he has really struggled with this and it has been quite a challenge.

I call these our rainbow moments.

you turn the alarm on to set it......therefore when the bell rings it is at the end of it's 'job' and is going off...once it has rung it is finished! Guess it would be easier to think of it as a wind up toy .....by turning the key you are winding it up and turning it on (energy) at the end of it's cycle it turns off (runs out of energy.

Good questions !!!!

Please share your 'marbles between two cupboards' dialogue..it sounds wonderful.

John

I'll have to see if I can find it - it was a few years ago! Wouldn't mind reading it myself again, actually! I'll have a hunt!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...