Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Uptown Funk?

narnia

So, we have a little boy who is very shy, very quiet..................dad brings him and dad is worried about everything, germs, other children, other adults ( it's taken a lot of work to get him to chat to us)........so, all knock-on effects for the child.

So, we have the radio on..............and Uptown Funk comes on.

I have rarely seen a reaction like it :) :) :) :)....................ALL the children, including our very shy lilttle boy, jumped up and danced to it....so good you'd have thought it was choreographed especially for us! I mean, they love Bon Jovi...................but this is something else :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Like 8

I am so trying that next week. Just out of interest do you have a radio playing sometimes during session? I do sometimes as part of getting children to listen to lots of different music but I always feel that we should not have the radio on and almost feel guilty about it, but I don't know why.

I've never though of having the radio on - always worried about daytime content, in my mind they can discuss/say things between 9-3 although maybe I have made that up? (I do have a tendency to have my own 'bubble agenda' that I think I must dream about!)

Also I have to confess ...... I haven't a clue what Uptown Funk is :blink: :blink: ... I need to research quickly :1b

I can tell you I am pretty fed up with the Frozen cd that a parent gave us (I think she had her own agenda for that thought xDxD :lol: )

I'm so tempted to have a go at that with my class. I played Queen for some of my first dance lesson this term and they loved that - was just great to see some of them looking slightly stunned at first and then just going for it!

I also have a couple of boys who sing the Magic song - Rude (at least I think that's what it is - no good at song titles/musicians) over and over - so funny especially as one of them is someone who is nearly always mouse like in the presence of an adult!

be as damp a squib as you like. I suspect...................no, I believe.....................that the children didn't hear the word as my colleague and I were singing along at the top of our voices. Trust me, we didn't sing the word bitch. I make no apologies..............and would do it again if it got the wonderful reaction from my shy and less than confident little boy. Get with the funk!

• Like 1

If you have a docking station/speakers why not download a real mix of suitable music to a ipod and mix up the music selection you play. I had a group line dancing once to Shania Twain...showing my age now lol

I think it is good to give children loads of different things to listen too and sadly some words are not seen to be rude any more, almost part of modern language but agree we need to set an example....tricky though sometimes :(

All for mixing it up though.....I know I used to get really bored of 'Children suitable cd's' at times xD

The quickest I've ever moved (another one showing her age) was when a staff member brought in a CD compilation which had Beautiful South's - Don't Marry Her. ............. my version from the actual BS cd was definitely not suitable.

The speed across the room from the opening barrs...... Olympic gold standard!!! As it happened it was fine, it was the radio version.

• Like 1

We have all be Frozen-ed out this term, so one of the members of staff went and got a CD from her car that was some 80s rock and power ballads.

Picture the scene ....I was at a table with about 12 2-4 year olds, all calmly playing and exploring the shaving foam (some ballad was on) Cue music change to Van Halen and Jump! I've never seen a group of children hit the ceiling with energy change in my life!!

And the shaving foam went everywhere too :o

Music was definitely food for the soul at playgroup yesterday!