Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Plug socket covers....yes or no?

mrsbat

We've always used socket covers, I remember vaguely hearing about the suggestion of not using them a few years ago but nothing since however a staff member has just been on a first aid course where the discussion about plug sockets came up and the tutor said they should never be used. Since then I've had a play about on google and it seems all the info is not to use them in nurseries......

So....... do you or do you not use plug socket covers in your settings?? If you don't have there been any accidents etc? what has the reaction of parents been like if they have noticed no covers? has anyone had comments from ofsted about whether they should/should not be used?

We use them. I have been told that they are not necessary but have never heard they are dangerous! Do you know what the danger is? We use them because of people's perception of the danger of not using them. I just thought if they make no difference, it's better for people to see that we are safety conscious than nothing at all. What is the reason for not using them?

We use them. I have been told that they are not necessary but have never heard they are dangerous! Do you know what the danger is? We use them because of people's perception of the danger of not using them. I just thought if they make no difference, it's better for people to see that we are safety conscious than nothing at all. What is the reason for not using them?

The main thing the tutor was saying was that it is near impossible to get a shock by sticking something in the plug socket because you would have to stick it in quite a way (an inch I think) but to get a shock you need to stick something in all 3 holes at the same time....also if sockets are used and a child takes them out or breaks them etc.

Googling there is a website called rospa and they say covers aren't necessary due to sockets being 'safe' nowadays but they don't actually say they are dangerous to use.....it's all rather confusing!?!?!?

I've emailed ofsted asking for their requirements but no doubt all I will get back is that they want individuals to ensure children are safe and how we do that is up to us......

Hi mrsbat there is a long, long, long thread on here (somewhere) with varying points of view! :1b

Wonder if someone more skilled than me will come along and post a link to it........

Thank you - it's this one! http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/42513-plug-socket-coversyes-or-no/?hl=%2Bplug+%2Bsocket

I found it after posting this lol......it still doesn't seem clear cut though and before making that decision I just wanted to get some up to date views..........

• Like 1

I think ofsted will be fine with whatever your risk assessment says, so if it says you use covers and when they come there are some empty they will question you and the other way round. Personally I have still left them in as even if they can't harm themselves I don't want things stuck in them anyway! I struggle to get them out myself, if the children suddenly manage it I will re evaluate!!!

• Like 1

I think you need to be consistent, do a risk assessment, add all the information you need and keep to a policy.. either with or without I am sure both are fine..

The issue will only really arise if you have some with covers and some without,, you need to decide and keep it the same throughout.. hence often no covers is easier option as you will not lose them, forget to replace or have others remove and not replace them.. It will often depend on your own circumstances ,

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)