Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Helmets

I'm conflicted as to whether a request by a parent that their child wears a helmet while outside in the playgound is a sensible precaution or an unnecessary imposition on the child. These are children between 2 and 4 and this particular child will be the only one wearing a helmet. There is no medical factor involved. It would be very helpful to have your views.

Didn't want to 'read and run' - what an extraordinary request :blink: however if the child had an accident and sustained a head injury and you had refused to allow him/her to wear a helmet.......hmmm - if this parent agrees to supply the helmet I think you have little option here - crazy though I think it is

:bananas:

• Like 1

I'd want to know more about this request.................has the child had an accident...............has another family membe or friend? However, I totally agree, if they have asked for it, I think you have little option but to agree to their request.................nightmare if the cild had an accident and they sued you.

I wonder if it does stem from another child or family member having an accident and making parents worried or over protective. I can understand if that is the case and I agree with others, you'll have to go with it I think!

just thinking our loud here..

You would need to ensure the helmet is correctly fitted for the child, a loose or badly fitting helmet can be worse than no helmet at all...

is it all the time or only when using bikes etc...

If child refuses you may need to have a plan of action..

I think also that you need to know more....but i would be very unhappy with a child wearing a helmet for anything other than scooters/bikes it could be very dangerous on climbing equipment....you are not trained to fit them so will not know if they are tight enough to prevent accidents. It will effect his balance and may cause problems due to that. We have a little one who (for medical reasons) might wear a helmet but his consultant has said no as it would make hime stand out from the crowd and would not necessarily aid his problem.

This is a very worrying request and if as you say there is no medical reason why the child should have a helmet I'm not sure that I would want to go along with the parents wishes here.

As others have said having the helmet is one thing - if it isn't fitted properly and the child has an accident you are equally as liable as if the child doesn't have it on.

As for the child's development, management of sensible risk and self-esteem - well !!!!

Also where do you then draw the line - what if you had a parent who wanted their child to be put in a hazmat suit every session they attended to avoid any risk of cross infection?

I would say that a bit of digging is needed here to find out the reasons behind the parents request

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)