Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Looking for advice...

I have a member of staff employed as maternity cover. The person she is covering has decided not to return to work. The maternity cover person has caused quite a few issues and has had a disciplinary warning in the past (I have posted about her before!).

Today during the two hours she was supposed to be doing her paperwork (Tapestry), she spent most of the time on Facebook or other internet sites. I have printed off the internet history showing what she was looking at.

I am going to talk to her tomorrow but I'm not sure how to approach it all. This person lies very, very easily and I know she will have a whole list of excuses, even though I have the evidence in black and white. Should I just tell her I'm not offering her a permanent job and give her a month's notice? Until today, I was going to say I was advertising the post and she could apply if she wanted to, but today's behaviour was the last straw...

How would you deal with this?

Hi i would advise that her performance and attitude was not up to required standards I'm guessing from your post and mention of disciplinary in the past issues with her have previously been addressed so would just inform her that she would not be offered a permanent position I would pay her a months notice and ask her to leave immediately sometimes better to pay them the months notice than have them in the building causing problems good luck

To be brutal I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole - she is I assume on either a temporary or fixed term contract so when it ends just wave her goodbye. Being employed on maternity cover was an ideal opportunity for her to show you just what a super star she is and to impress you sooooo much that you would be begging her to stay - if this is her impressing you I'd hate to see her standard of work once she got her foot in the door <_<

• Like 4

To be brutal I wouldn't touch her with a barge pole - she is I assume on either a temporary or fixed term contract so when it ends just wave her goodbye. Being employed on maternity cover was an ideal opportunity for her to show you just what a super star she is and to impress you sooooo much that you would be begging her to stay - if this is her impressing you I'd hate to see her standard of work once she got her foot in the door <_<

I'll second that.......

Oh dear, poor you.

Do you have a 'use of internet' policy - ours forbids the use of social media on school equipment, and sets out that school equipment being used for personal use (arguably as I am now) is done outside of school time.

Whatever, you don't need this millstone and neither do your children - HR stuff always seems to take up a huge amount of time and emotional energy. If you can, the pay a month's notice and leave now' sounds like a good option.

Can you have someone sit in on your meeting as a 'note-taker'?

good luck

Have just had to do that...needed to fill the shoes of an excellent lev 3...with what we thought was another excellent lev 3 straight from another setting....oh how wrong we were......if i say we had to sack her after 5 weeks.....enough said..glowing cv...none of which came to light.....we worry how she stayed at previous setting for 5 years........