Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staffing

I run a 20 place nursery but have 35 children on roll coming at different times during a week.... Is anyone else out there with similar if so how many staff do you have excluding manager..and how many key children should a member of staff be responsible for...

We are 26 place - 6 under 2 years old - 3 staff, 6/7 2-3 year olds - 2 staff 13/14 3-4 year olds - 2 staff so normally 7 staff altogether! The numbers are just rough it does vary! Senior staff have anything from 10-14 key children but obviously these are spread over the week, others have around 5 ish each. We have 57 children in roll. Manager is always counted in ratios as above for main part of the day but as we are 8-6 not always at the begin and end of the day. Not sure if that's helpful!

Anything from 6-12 key children would be normal for us. We have a ratio of 1 adult to 6 children over 3 and 1 adult to 4 children under three, although as manager (well my deputy as well) have the authority to lower or raise the ratio (as long as it stays within government guidelines) if we feel the group of children need it. So older more capable children who are 'sensible' you might be willing to go 1-8 with but some over 3's I would recommend 1-4 as they are hard work. We have 48 on role at the moment and can only have 24 per session. I am extra to ratio but that is only a new thing (this term)

I know wendy123 I don't know how settings manage having an out of ratio manager, no way would we ever be able to afford this!!! Agreed wildflowers, we have a 3 year old that could no way in the world be in a 1:13 ratio ( 2 EYPs in our setting although we never use this ratio) or even a 1:8 ratio, it would just not work at all, you have to do what's best for the children and a ratio that works for one group of children definitely wouldn't work for another!