Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

2 Year Check

Just wondered if/how settings get to see children's 2 year check ups? We take 3 year olds and so far only 1 parent has offered to share. We have a child who joined us at Easter and we feel it may help to see the 2 year check.

Do you mean the check done by the Health Visitor? If so no we've never got to see one

Or

Do you mean 2 year checks done by other settings? If so I've never seen one from another setting (if a child has transferred) but if a child leaves our setting their 2yr check is put in the child's folder which we ask parents to hand in to the next setting for them to look at.

• Like 1

I don't think we've ever seen one from another setting but we see every child's check from the Health Visitor - we ask parents before they have it done, to bring a copy once it's been done. We've had a few who have forgotten, then we either ask them to try to get a copy or get their permission for us to ask the HV team for a copy.

I think it could be. For us it seemed another way to link with other practitioners from the very beginning for each child, but not necessarily face to face. As we know there is still a shortage of HVs. It's another way to open dialogue about a child's general health and development.

As we know there are still a shortage of HV's in lots of areas.

Children generally start with us between 2.5 and 3 years old.

I have to say parents do seem to be keen to share so far so that's great.:)

Edited by Fredbear
  • Like 1

Most of our children start at around 2 & 7/8/9 mths. In the two years since 2 yr checks started we have had one from another setting, one from a childminder and one " all fine, parents have no concerns" sentence in their red book from a HV- that supposedly was their 2 year check. Communication between settings does not work, HV dont do them in our area- in fact we ask parents to bring in their 2 yr check or go and see their HV for information on it when they come for their initial visit and childminders- apart form the odd one or two- dont seem to do them either. I think this whole thing needs t be looked at- with each LA doing the same thing or not doing it as the case may be!. Like everything else it all seems to depend on where you live as to how you do it and what happens to it.

If a child starts when they soon are three, do you do the Progress Check? (I know we have to.) Our two-year-olds attend a short time of the week, and they take longer to settle and don't speak much so it, so they will be three by the time we know them well enough to assess them. Their HV check is done and we would in any case communicate with parents about any concern we had, as we would do for any child in our care. It's the writing of a report when a child just has started which I feel is unnecessary,

If they start before they are three then we do do one but sometimes it may be done once they are three as like you said you need time to get to know them! I would rather do a more accurate one when they are 3 years and a month then a 'for the sake of it' one when they are 2 years 11 months!!

County have told us that they want the 2yr check done at 2!

I feel this is unfair on the child, we do take from 2yrs but most only do 3 hours a week sometimes 6 hours at a push and we don't think this is fair, as we hardly see them.

Anyway we are doing as asked, but nearly all of them score low as they aren't toilet trained or even anywhere close.

Health visitors supposedly have been told that they must ask parents to bring along the report produced by their Early Years setting when they do their check.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)