Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Normal procedure?

Madmum

hi

We are currently working with the Children's Centre to support a family with a child in our setting. The Children's centre are very concerned about the whole family and there is a multi agency meeting planned. They have been in regular contact with us and asked us to let them know if we had any concerns at all about the children or parents. Yesterday we had a concern and contacted the CS worker ( the usual one was on leave). She made an unannounced visit, telling Mum we had been in touch and why. Mum was less than happy when she arrived ( 20 mins late due to the visit!). Is it normal to tell a parent who rang and why? I feel that this has probably irreparably damaged our relationship with the family and also potentially put us at risk as she is somewhat unpredictable. The CS say she needs to know we talk! Obviously she knew that already as they had rung on her behalf several times. We acted in the children's interests but not sure she will see it this way!

Hi I think you did exactly as you had been requested to do by the other agencies involved.

If the child is subject to a child protection order, the parents need to know that it is your duty to report and the child is at the forefront of everything you do.

In our policies and consent forms we gain permission to talk to other agencies from parents as part of their joining our setting.

At the meetings that I go to with parents present and muti-agency teams, they are fully aware of the procedures that are followed.

Remember to log all discussions held with parents too.

• Like 1

Believe in yourself :1b

You know when there is a concern that needs some action.......I would much prefer a 'cross' parent to a situation where I was left worrying that I had let a child down..........

As FBear has already said - log every conversation

• Like 1

i know very little about CC's as the ones in our area seem to operate under a completely different agenda! Is there not a social worker involved in this case? It would have been to them i would have spoken first and told them i had not told the parents...their advice would probably be to tell the parents that you had contacted them.....it is usual for all CP issues to be discussed with the parents first unless they are likely to put the child in danger.

These conversations are so difficult and it takes all the agencies to work well with each other to make it effective....i think i would be having a word with the CC and tell them how cross you are about the way they handled it :angry:

• Like 1

I think we will be letting them know that we feel they've let us down somewhat! I get the feeling they're relying on us to keep bending over backwards for them whilst they seem all caring and 'fluffy'! :angry:

Unless the child is in immediate danger then it is standard practice to let parents know that you are going to be speaking to another professional. Families are supposed to be made aware of all conversations relating to them/their children.

Most children / families being supported by a Children's Centre worker are unlikely to have a social worker. The Centres usually work with children / families who fall just below the Social Care threshold, either when they have 'stepped down' from social care, or in order to help prevent them reaching that stage.

I assume that your concern was not a child protection one - because a CP referral would obviously have been the right action in that case.

If you have already been working with the CC worker and family, then it is usually expected that everything can be 'open' between professionals (and family). We would also expect a CAF to be in place and this also includes and information sharing agreement.

I suggest, as others have, that you talk to the CC worker and get clarification on this, as maybe this simply has not been made sufficiently clear to the family.

In the meantime, rest assured that you have acted in the child's best interests and, as Sunnyday says, it is better to have a cross parent than be regretting that a child has suffered

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)