Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

compost?

blondie

Hi,

we are looking to using compost in our spare sand tray - can we do this?

had a feeling that i had read somewhere that we couldnt allow children to use this - going to talk about healthy eating - and thought that we could bury potatoes, carrots and talk about where foods grow - in, on top of the soil.

thanks x

We use compost bought from garden centre all the time. I think it is ok I cannot think of any reason why it is not. I may be wary of using the compost from our compost bin although the children do use when we plant our bulbs etc in the garden.

Don't know what your environment is like, but you can buy potato sacks and fill them with compost and plant potatoes in them. They have a little flap that you can lift up and see them growing. Worth doing.

Hi blondie

I vaguely remember reading somewhere......that there can be breathing difficulties and a risk of developing Legionnaires disease from compost 'spores' - might be worth a little more research?

Edit to say: 'phew - I didn't dream that'! A quick 'google' led me to all sorts of info - what a shame that I haven't yet mastered the whole link thingy! :D

Edited by sunnyday

A bit of dirt don't hurt , common sense , wash hands after use, we use compost all the time for planting and playing , making pies , hiding creatures and so on , our children have handled bugs, larvae and anything else they find , the real risk of legionnaires is water especially water butts that have had standing water in and a hot sun so there's where you need to be aware

Guest youngrisers

now how does this fit in with outdoor play we have used compost before in our sand tray and wood chip and shavings. the children wash and gel hands after use and love anything messy including a mud kitchen yes that's right MUD......

Now where are my old cooking pots they can be used to make mud pies.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)