Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Telephone Lines in a Village Hall

We hire a village hall which has no telephone line at all.

We have a real problem with mobile phone coverage between us we cover 4 of the main mobile providers but none of them have a good signal. It really worries me, that no one can get in touch or more importantly we can't get in touch with parents should we need them.

The village hall committee have said no to installing a telephone line as the hall is used by many other users and obviously they don't want to 'foot the bill' - I understand their reasons.

Does anyone know if we could get a telephone line installed when it's not our builiding?

and also (depnding on cost) if we can get one installed can we just plug in the telephone as and when we are at the hall?

Hi,

We are in a village hall and have had phone installed under the nursery name, we pay line rental and bills without village hall committee being involved. We do not unplug phone but have itemised phone bill, therefore can keep an eye on things.

Joanne

Edited by Joanne123
  • Like 1

we too had a line installed... before mobile phones it was a must have in the setting...we had it installed in our locked storage cupboard so could not be used by anyone else... even unplugging a phone anyone could bring in a handset to use the line...

In one hall we had a line installed and they redirected it to a home number when not in there , this meant the line in the hall was not able to be used when redirected.. not sure if that is still possible..

having our own line did mean that we could get internet installed for our use.. we made sure it was encrypted..so no one could use it without the password..

Cost may be an issue though.. ours they insisted had to be a business line with higher costs for rental... after a couple of years and the continual rising costs I told them I was considering stopping as we could not afford it.. so they switched it to a personal line in my name at the address rather than a preschool one.. costs dropped dramatically... when I left we transferred it to another staff member..

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

Bt are the only ones who do any of the engineering works.. even with a different company they get Bt out to do all the line checks etc.. not sure about costs when putting in a new line .. or if other companies do offer the service.. may be worth an ask..

We had a line issue at home.- we had moved to Sky for phone and reported it ... Bt came out, sorted it and the engineer told us that if it was them they would charge but as Sky had ordered it then it was up to them to bill us... Sky never did.. said it was all part of their service..

We have our own line in one of the rooms we use in the village hall. We pay by direct debit each month and our bill is approximately £25 for day time free calls excluding mobiles. This includes call baring which I would highly recommend. Each day I code the phone when we leave so no one is able to use it and unlock it when we come in.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)