Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mothers day!

narnia

ARGHHH, I have been invited to run the craft table at toddlers and have to make something simple for mother's day.......church hall, so no paint, no glue, no mess :) :) ( yes, Jesus is a tidy person folks, so no messing about in the church !)...so WHAT on earth can i make with a bunch of 35 children(!) and all ages and abilities...............oh yes, and a bunch of snotty mums itching for me to fail.....yippee :)

How on earth can it be called a craft table if it's not going to be messy?? Can you not just put a big tarp on the floor to protect it from any mess? I am afraid I would HAVE to rebel and find the messiest craft going!!

What about making sun catchers with sticky back plastic and tissue paper, this would not involve any glue and they do look fab.

But I dare you to rebel, maybe we should all come and help you!! ;)

• Like 1

What about decorating biscuits ? Nice and simple and not to messy.......unless you want to rebel and use lots and lots of food colouring and hundreds and thousands :D

How about tissue paper flowers - cut or tear up squares or circles of tissue paper, thread a bead on the end of pipe cleaner and poke through several sheets of tissue paper. The bead makes the middle of the flower and you can then scrunch the paper up to look like petals. Very simple but effective and no glue paint etc. needed.

On the front of tescos mag this month there is a card! draw round child's hand in very pretty paper! cut out and stick on front of card with a few paper daisies for good measure. Trouble is by the time they get to you on the Sunday morning surely all cards and presents will probably have been given anyway.

One year we did a poem to go with whatever we made , all the children contributed to it by say I love my mum because ..... We typed it up and photocopied it onto some lovely paper.

A small basket template made from card which you could staple together and put in a few sweets. They might be a bit Easter inspired but you can get the net off the internet to make baskets.

A cheque book of good deeds the children can perform for mum when she cashes them in.

I once did an activity in our local library - also needed to be a "clean" one - I found that foamtastic craft foam/paper stuff invaluable - given your numbers some type of pre-cut shape (I did a butterfly) and stick on foamtastic shapes with a stick on magnet on the back might do it for you - quite a slick and clean end result to present to those just waiting for you to fall flat on your face ;)

This stuff is quite cheap to buy if you can find it in a local discount store - our 99p store has various packs to choose from so quite do-able if funds are tight too.

Done and went down well................. I baked 100 gingerbread folk, plus some gingerbread flowers................lots of icing in little tubes and some really nice edible decorations to make them beautiful. Nice clear bags and some 'happy Mother's day' ribbons...............job done :) Thank you for all the lovely ideas. Was nice to hear comments such as 'how lovely! makes a nice change from all the precut stuff we usually get'............. and then they asked me to lead the singing.......ha! They won't do THAT again in a hurry :)

• Like 1