Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

performance licence for pre-schools

I run a pre-school from a village hall and have just heard that we need to have a performance licence as we play music during the session. This is usually on pre-recorded cd's. I was not aware that we had to have a licence as we are not doing it for a paid audience etc. I would like to hear from other members if they have come across a similar issue and what the costs maybe?

Thank you for quick feedback. The management committee of the hall are wanting to pass the cost on to me I think as an individual user. I will look into it further. It just seems so silly to have to pay this cost for playing a few cd's.

Cheeky (the Management Committee that is).........I am Hon. Secretary for our Hall Management Committee - they wouldn't dream of passing costs on...........well I wouldn't let them if they tried :rolleyes:

So, seriously now they must have licenses in place???

Edited by sunnyday
  • Like 1

I agree with Sunnyday (I often do! :1b) Surely the hall must be have other users who play music or show films etc. If so, they should already have a license. If not, I would have thought it was up to them to get it to cover all users.

We are a private nursery in our own building and we buy a license every year from MPLC. It is a bit of a pain to be honest, but its the law! I would go back to the hall committee and find out why they don't already have one.

Good luck!

• Like 1

I agree with Sunnyday (I often do! :1b) Surely the hall must be have other users who play music or show films etc. If so, they should already have a license. If not, I would have thought it was up to them to get it to cover all users.

We are a private nursery in our own building and we buy a license every year from MPLC. It is a bit of a pain to be honest, but its the law! I would go back to the hall committee and find out why they don't already have one.

Good luck!

I have spoken to them again and they do not seem to have a licence and want all the users who play music to contribute to this. I am certainly not going to roll over and pay without a bit more research! Operating from a village hall has some benefits but many disadvantages due to the committee having a lack of understanding of our needs as an Early Years provider.

I have spoken to them again and they do not seem to have a licence and want all the users who play music to contribute to this. I am certainly not going to roll over and pay without a bit more research! Operating from a village hall has some benefits but many disadvantages due to the committee having a lack of understanding of our needs as an Early Years provider.

I'm genuinely surprised/puzzled by this.......so do they (Management Committee) have annual Electrical Inspections and Fire Inspections carried out, do they hire out the hall for parties, weddings etc.

• Like 1

I'm genuinely surprised/puzzled by this.......so do they (Management Committee) have annual Electrical Inspections and Fire Inspections carried out, do they hire out the hall for parties, weddings etc.

Yes they do to all of the above. For some reason they have got their wires crossed and were given some misleading information from previous members of committee.

I'm with sunny day too as chair of trustees at our hall , we renew ours each year despite being a charity too , for hall hire and shows etc to take place we need to have it and it would be unfair to pass this cost onto hirers . It would also hinder our ability to hire , and would be unfair for those users like yourselves who may only want to play a few cd's compared to a group putting on a show, disco etc ,

• Like 1