Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health and safety course

Please can anyone give me some information on health and safety courses. None of us, on my staff team have done any health and safety training. Can anyone tell me what are the regulations, what course do we do? We are members of EDUCARE and they do have an online course but I do not want to spend out on it(£15 each) if its not the right one. I am thinking of contacting some training companies and seeing if we can invite other settings along as well to spread the cost. Just really need to know what it is we are required to do?? Help please :1b

We sometimes get asked if we have done Health and Safety training but there isn't one course available to us.

All of us have done First Aid, Food Safety, Safeguarding, Manual Handling and one staff member has done Fire Safety and a course on risk assessment. Not sure if there is anything else to add to the list.

Hi Zigzag - this is from the HSE website

Get competent advice
As an employer, you must appoint someone competent to help you meet your health and safety duties. A competent person is someone with the necessary skills, knowledge and experience to manage health and safety.
You could appoint (one or a combination of):
yourself
one or more of your workers
someone from outside your business
You probably manage most aspects of your business yourself, or with help from your staff. But if you are not confident of your ability to manage all health and safety in-house, you may need some external help or advice.

This link might also help:

http://www.hse.gov.uk/managing/index.htm

In my LA we are allowed to train 1 named member of staff for H&S for every 10 children where the training costs are free anything over that and we have to pay. However demand for these courses is huge and getting a place nigh on impossible. I have just coughed up £30 to have 2 staff trained up - the 3rd still has current H&S training (like food safety renewal is every 3 years).

The training was done via Educare and although it says its H&S in education it is not particularly education specific - however it does meet the need.

Doing it online also means that there is no supply cover cost to pay either.

Your H&S named staff are then responsible for ensuring other staff are made aware of H&S issues - usually done via induction processes, supervisions, appraisals, staff meetings and policy reviews.

Hi I would check with your LA on their current list of authorised training providers and expected levels.

We have just been advised by an improvement officer that we no longer need a Level 3 in our early years setting. Our safety officer has a level 2.

Sorry but we had delayed her going on the level 3 anyway, as it was a three day training, was extremely expensive,which included fork lift truck training. Now I know we might have to put our hand to most things, but really. :)

• Like 1

Thanks very much for your responses. I will check with our LA and then probably give the Educare course a go. We all have first aid and food hygiene and have had risk assessment training cascaded down from the health and safety person in the school.

Hi I would check with your LA on their current list of authorised training providers and expected levels.

We have just been advised by an improvement officer that we no longer need a Level 3 in our early years setting. Our safety officer has a level 2.

Sorry but we had delayed her going on the level 3 anyway, as it was a three day training, was extremely expensive,which included fork lift truck training. Now I know we might have to put our hand to most things, but really. :)

I'm in the same LA as you- I DID the 3day course!!!! Three very long days that I will never get back!!!

I'm glad they've now changed it to an early years specific one, however I now think that really I need to do that now due to the fact the other one really didn't relate to us very much at all.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)