Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

A fresh start - how

I've been feeling recently like I've lost my way somewhat with my reception children. My year ones are, on the whole, doing really well but I feel like I've lost focus with reception. Also that I don't have a clear sense of direction for EY at school. There is only me to manage but I'm not doing a good job right now and I feel overwhelmed. I want to write an action plan (having a to do list always helps!) but I don't know where to start. Has anyone got any suggestions? Everything feels too much right now and I don't want to lose my rather tenuous hold on a sense of calm!

I can't offer any advice but just wanted to offer my sympathy as I know the feeling well. I think the fact that you recognise that you're struggling is a big plus though. You know you need to make changes, you just don't know what they are yet. I hope someone will be along to offer more constructive advice.

• Like 1

Thank you both. There isn't any kind of learning community - apart from FSF! I can ask advice from. My head is great and will be very supportive of what I am trying to do and will offer constructive criticism/advice. I'd just like to go with some kind of starting point.

I'm thinking I probably need to look at what my assessments are telling me with a fresh pair of eyes and identify areas for development from that. My planning feels very wrong at the moment but I don't think I can sort that unless I have a clearer, more specific picture of where the children are.

How does that sound?

Edited by HelenD26

Do you have an Early Years team in your LA? Can you ask them in (if you do) for that fresh eyes viewpoint?

Take a step back. Take some time to really look at what your EYFS children are doing. Not what you told them to do, but what they are doing for themselves. Look to see where they are doing things in the way you would want them to: sustaining focus, high levels of engagement and well being, collaboration...in fact use the characteristics to guide you.

Analyse what it is that is making these good things happen. Where are they not happening? Can you identify why?

Some clarity may come from just looking?

Cx

• Like 3

We do have an EY team Catma, I'm just not sure how to contact them when my sense of wrongness is so nebulous. The results we had last year were good (both in terms of attainment and progress), the comments about EY in our Ofsted were excellent, I'm experienced, have been moderated most years (and always been successful) etc etc. in theory there's nothing wrong.

I think I will just take a look and starting with the characteristics is a good idea. They must be doing lots of good things and it can't all be dire!

Thanks for the support.

Hi Helen...i'm beginning to think it's the weather! my group are very odd at the moment....and of course like most of us we assume it's us....but i actually think it's the children! :o

Seriously though try not to over think things too much it's a very bad habit that most of us have (have to say our male colleagues seem to be much better at this!)

Go and have a good weekend with NO work ! and then try to look forward to next week ...maybe something will spark and it will all fall in to place ;) and when it does can you send me some of it before i tear my hair out :D:D :rolleyes:

• Like 1

It's lovely of you to be reassuring but I don't think it is the children. Yes they have been hard work this week (and it hasn't even been windy!). I am tired - between taking choir on a trip and a governors meeting I managed to do 22 hours at school in just 2 days this week. Some of it is finding out that our new Link Advisor will be coming to do joint observations with the head in a couple of months. Some of it is January blues as I realise just how close June and profile deadlines seem this side of Christmas but I have also been feeling this way for a while. Some of it is the eternal problem of managing the YR/Y1 mix - I can be excellent at either but not both together! I'm going to beat that though - somehow!

Just to add I too have been questioning myself this week, discussed with my TA this pm - children hard work this week, not much engagement. Of course I blame myself, must be the provision. Having said that I was on a course one afternoon and the supply teacher said to my TA "I'm not sure why I am here, the children just get on don't they?". They do, but I am always looking for more I suppose.

I'm thinking I probably need to look at what my assessments are telling me with a fresh pair of eyes and identify areas for development from that. My planning feels very wrong at the moment but I don't think I can sort that unless I have a clearer, more specific picture of where the children are.

How does that sound?

Have you ever looked at ABC Does? Alistair Bryce Clegg has some very interesting ideas on basing your environment on your assessments and, as Catma says, looking to see where children are doing, where their interests and strengths lie. He then goes on to talk about objective-led planning. There is a lot of info, examples, photos etc on his website and it might give you a bit of inspiration if you haven't seen it before. I'm not a teacher and don't work in a school environment, so sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree! :1b

Have you ever looked at ABC Does? Alistair Bryce Clegg has some very interesting ideas on basing your environment on your assessments and, as Catma says, looking to see where children are doing, where their interests and strengths lie. He then goes on to talk about objective-led planning. There is a lot of info, examples, photos etc on his website and it might give you a bit of inspiration if you haven't seen it before. I'm not a teacher and don't work in a school environment, so sorry if I'm barking up the wrong tree! :1b

I often do and have many great ideas from him. I just have to remind myself not to try and be perfect all at once!

• Like 1

we all feel like this at times. do try to relax this weekend. a tired teacher is no good to her class......... chat to ta too and see what they think? great advice above. and us ladies do beat ourselves up, don't we? it's the time of year to think where they need to be and realise there's a lot of work to do!!! but it all seems to come together in the end. and observations not for a couple of months, so plenty of time to sort any issues out. follow the children's interests/fascinations, and you can't go wrong :huh: :huh:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)