Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help - just had Ofsted!

Just had my Ofsted inspection as a childminder but they could not award a grade as my husband was teaching music in another room in the house. I explained that his students do not ever come into contact with the children I look after and most of the time we go out when he is teaching, so there is no conflict of interests. Now I don't know where I stand and have to wait to hear whether I can still operate as a childminder - has anyone else had any similar problems? Many thanks.

Hi Ria and welcome. I'm not a childminder but couldn't read and run. Do you get any guidelines that are additional to those in preschools? Does your local authority add anything onto the regulations in the statutory framework?

I find it odd that the inspector couldn't give you better feedback and properly explain what the issues were - if you don't know what they are then you can't really address them. I would suggest that you ring or email them and try to find out a bit more. Or ring your LEA advisor who should be able to help. If it's an issue I am surprised it hadn't been mentioned already by them anyway.

Have you been operating as a childminder for long?

• Like 1

Hi from me too :D:D

I'd definitely ask them what the problem is and I find emails are a good way of keeping tabs of what I'm told, maybe a phone call with the request that they email or write their answer to confirm :rolleyes:

Hi, what a worrying situation, so sorry. I think it is a safeguarding issue, and as your husband works at home I am sure you know that he needs a DBS check too. The other issue is the ease of access which the music students have to your childminding charges. They may all need DBS checks as well. To be honest, it does sound quite a serious problem and I can understand why Ofsted are concerned. Their main concern is the children's safety and welfare.

Hope it all works out all right for you.

How old are the students? If under 16 [?] I would assume your husband needs a CRB/DBS anyway.

Do they come alone, or have parents waiting for them?

Is there someway they could have a separate entrance exit that can be shut off to rest of house?

Sorry, lots of questions there, but just thinking of it from both points of view.

and ....welcome to the form too :1b

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

It will be a Safeguarding issue. Basically anyone living or working on your premises 16 years and over will need to have a DBS check. You will also have to ensure you have a register for all visitors coming into your setting - the reason for visit time in/out etc., It not only Safeguards the settings from allegations of abuse, but also safeguards the visitors from accusations when perhaps they were not actually in your homne.

Also you should have had a policy and procedure for students visiting your husband in addition to all the other Safeguarding requirements. Have you informed your children's parents that your husband works from home and will be undertaking this type of work? If so have they signed a letter of agreement?

Ofsted are quite strict about Safeguarding issues.

I do sympathise with you, your local authority should perhaps have made this know to you as well during briefing meetings. Essentially when you go into home-based childcare you are under close scrutiny and restrictions apply.

I wish you all the best.