Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Government funding - hourly rate. Is it national?

Hi

Can I ask is the hourly rate received for funded 3/4 year olds a set national rate or is it determined by the local authority?

If by the local authority is it then the same across all settings or does it vary?

I thought it was national following on from a conversation with a few other professionals however now doubting whether it is or not due to someone saying the hourly rate varies depending on the setting

to my knowledge.....Funding is set by the government and then doled out to the LEA's they then decide how much they are going to 'top slice' in order to provide the services (support staff etc) . Most Lea's will now give some 'uplifts' to funding for certain criteria ..maybe for quality or deprivation or qualifications...it's up to the lea but they should inform you how much this is and how you can achieve uplifts,,,speak to your funding officer they can advise you.

Our is determined by qualification of staff working with 3 and 4 years olds, so settings with an EYP or QTS get the highest hourly rate. We get £3.70 per hour as I am an EYP and employ another EYP. The lowest rate is £3.10 for level 3 staff leading the group. We get £5 per hour for funded 2 year olds.

I just looked on our LA website to check our hourly rates and saw that we only get 11 weeks funding for this term as that is all our LA have left in the pot! Lucky I looked! :o

We're running a 12 week spring term with only 11 weeks funding too stargrower, we will be given the last week of spring term funding with summer funding...I'm thinking this means only charging 11 weeks fees for anyone that would go on to funding from summer term and also looking at anyone due to join after Easter on funding as they should probably come in for the week before Easter hols as they will be on the summer funding claim which is actually for a week longer than the term :/ .....think they should have budgeted better, and could cause real problems for settings that might struggle to cover a weeks overheads without that weeks funding :(

You may like to refer to a previous conversation here and post no 25 in particular as below;

Can I just offer a point of clarification on funding rates for 2YO's.

There is no universal national rate, what the government talk about is a national average of £5.10, which is different to what individual LA's actually get.

The government apply various weightings to what they give to LA's, so London boroughs for example get far more than we do up here in the North West. I belive the government/DfE divide what they give out by the number of LA's to arrive at this national average.

In my LA we give out exactly what we get in, so we take the funding amount given, divided by the number of places /hours = the hourly rate , which in our case is £4.95 per hour per child. . LA's can, should they choose, "top slice" a little for their own admin costs (our LA doesn't) but of those that do in these parts the hourly rate in most is £4.85. In neither case are we paid a universal national rate.

• Like 1

We get the same basic rate for all children, 2, 3 and 4 year olds, of £3.56 plus a supplement of 23p because we have an EYP, so £3.79 per hour

This is then topped up with a deprivation supplement of £1.40 per hour for some children (currently all 2 year olds but this changes in September 2014)

Nursery grant funding is definitely decided by each county. County are given money by government then they decide what rates to give and what other supplements to give e.g. deprivation, extra if you have eyp, differences for c minders, private nurseries etc. Seems to be very different in each county.

buttercup

• 4 weeks later...