Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Space requirements? How does it now work?

Does anyone know how the space requirements now work? Is it up to us as a setting to calculate?

Our certificate states 24 max children but were due to re-register and one of the questions asks about space requirements and how we calculate this?

In all honestly I currently only have around 12-14 children in on anyone day with around 4/5 being 2-3 year olds and 6-8 3 + year olds x

Yes, measure your rooms. You're not allowed to count cupboard space and any other space that can't be used by children. Then you work out how many children you can have in the space. Ofsted don't state how many children we're all registered for anymore. You just work out your floor space and your adult : child ratios and that tells you how many little darlings you can have. :1b

Thank you.

Am I right in thinking I calculate the space based on my main rooms? Just we have a very large hall we use too but only at set times during the day.

We ain't got much cupboard space as it's all stored in a large hall as were a pack a away.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

Hope someone can help.

We have calulated our room space, number of toilets etc to increase numbers (dont really want to do this, but for 1 term we cannot afford to turn children away, when so many leaving for school!)

Now that registration certificate no longer shows numbers of children, do we just inform ofsted of our change, if so, is there a special form or do we just keep relevant paperwork, risk assessment etc on file?

Thanks Joanne

3.56 The premises and equipment must be organised in a way that meets

the needs of children. In registered provision, providers must meet the

following indoor space requirements25:

• Children under two years: 3.5 m2

per child.

• Two year olds: 2.5 m2

per child.

• Children aged three to five years: 2.3 m2

per child.

25 These calculations should be based on the net or useable areas of the rooms used by the

children, not including storage areas, thoroughfares, dedicated staff areas, cloakrooms, utility

rooms, kitchens and toilets.

From the statutory requirements and from previous experience i would always ring ofsted and give them the information...it will be recorded so any issues that pop up later can be resolved!! ;)

• 7 months later...

I am having problems understanding how to measure it someone please help me

Measure your room to get a square meter coverage total then divide by relevant age band so as Finleymaid has put, this will give you total of children allowed in that space. You include your main areas that are accessible throughout the session, measuring from edge of play storage/equipment as you need available play space. If you share your space with 2-5 year olds it becomes a bit more of a calculation if you can in this scenario best thing is to class all children as 2's but if this reduces your numbers too much then you have to split the calculation. Hope that helps