Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nativity inspiration needed!

Just interested in what you are all doing for your nativity/show. In the past we have just done the basic nativity story and we also did the owl and the star a couple of years. Anyone got any different ideas that they would like to share? Just trying to decide which route to go down..tried and trusted and basic or a bit different. Really got to make up my mind as the clock is ticking!! If the children had their way we would have a T rex, Iron man and some knights on stage!!! Did suggest to my deputy that this may be the way to go but she is not keen!! Any inspiration, ideas and new songs would be most welcomed. We are a group of 25 children from 2.5 years upto 4 years.

Have to say I am not a huge lover of Christmas and to have to talk about it in November really does my head in!! Bah humbug!! :ph34r: :huh: :blink: :ph34r:

going on a baby hunt went down well last year...have a very young group this year so have gone with a version of old macdonald!

somthing aong the lines of

...........pre-school has a play eieio

and on the stage they had a star eieio

with a twinkle twinkle here and a twinkle ........etc etc!

lasts about 5 minutes! xD

• Like 5

For the past few years we have sung about half a dozen Christmas songs/ told poems to the parents at the end of the Christmas party. This has always been received well, and we get the parents to join in with us at the end.... Always gives me a good warm glow type feeling!

This year the new Head wants us to join reception and year one to do a traditional nativity. Nothing bought in. No aliens! Just tradition.

I just can't quite imagine how it's going to go!

Will have to let you know!!

Just interested in what you are all doing for your nativity/show. In the past we have just done the basic nativity story and we also did the owl and the star a couple of years. Anyone got any different ideas that they would like to share? Just trying to decide which route to go down..tried and trusted and basic or a bit different. Really got to make up my mind as the clock is ticking!! If the children had their way we would have a T rex, Iron man and some knights on stage!!! Did suggest to my deputy that this may be the way to go but she is not keen!! Any inspiration, ideas and new songs would be most welcomed. We are a group of 25 children from 2.5 years upto 4 years.

Have to say I am not a huge lover of Christmas and to have to talk about it in November really does my head in!! Bah humbug!! :ph34r: :huh: :blink: :ph34r:

We have done much the same as you have over the years. We did have super heroes one year . We were telling the story of when Father Christmas sets out on his sleigh etc.,singing a few songs, the super heroes were telling the part about presents which had been asked for. To be fair it's their play if they want iron man why not make it work? We are doing the same as last year. Just a party for the children and when parents come to collect, a couple of songs.

Guest p0rridge

I think my self very lucky. A member of staff has based our Christmas play on Lauras star. We have been practicing for two weeks with simple songs, twinkle twinkle, christmas pudding, driving in my car etc. adapted songs around known nursery rhyme tunes. Children have been bringing in their own props and we have a very busy creative area, from stars to cars.

I used to find a Christmas story book and fit in songs around the story... the children learnt the songs but I did not read the story until the day and held a story session with parents and children.. more informal than a production and more relaxed.. no staging other than the children dressing up as one of the characters from the songs we were singing..

This meant it was all fresh for the children on the day and they enjoyed it without any stress.. which I have encountered in some of the settings I have worked where they did a production.

We did have some children sing solo if they were able to and worked it around the children we had each year..

Did it this way because one year I was in a setting that practised 3 times a week from half term to make sure it was all perfect.. was very scripted and they had to move in certain places, was so funny when on the day one of the children was narrating from behind as he had heard it so often and was so bored with it all he sat down and no one could see him, but all could hear him telling the story at same time as the leader was narrating.. she was not best pleased..

• Like 2

I posted on here last years nativity I wrote based on 'Father Christmas needs a wee' - children and parents loved it and threw in simple songs /nursery ryhmes

Can you post me the link to it again lashes2508? would love to have a look at it as that is one of my favourite stories

Guest sn0wdr0p

As I have just mentioned in another thread we are doing the Russian folk tale of Baboushka as we have a couple of Russian children and it ties in beautifully with the Christmas story.

We do a cut down version of Wriggly Nativity. Last year we had a group who could cope with a "production" This year we will dress up and sing the songs but not do the moving around and acting! In previous years we have also done the singing half a dozen Christmas songs etc... but I like the Wriggly Nativity, it is catchy, no need for sitting still and not too long! We always finish whatever we are doing with snack for the children and mince pies for the parents.

Mel

x

Us too zigzag.....but I thought we had 3 weeks to go until a staff member pointed out it was only 2 till nativity ....did get outfits from shed hoping mice might have eaten them and I could cancel due to a costume malfunction in the wardrobe department ....but no such luck :(

• Like 1

Getting the costumes out of the shed was on my to do list last Friday!! It never happened as I spent my time scrubbing the forest school waterproofs as we have come to an end of our sessions :(:( Must get them out tomorrow as I think we may need to buy/make some more :(:(

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)