Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning scales

No we don't, but there are probably lots of people about that do, who might tell you more. I have read about them quite a bit and I think they are useful, but to me the Characteristics of Effective Learning are enough for us to assess children's involvement and, up to a point, wellbeing. Having said that I'm no expert on Leuven Scales!

• Like 1

so having had the weekend to have a look over all this lovely information (thank you all) I have a few more questions. Do you all use this as a individual tool or for groups/whole session tool?

also do you make up your own ways of recording, I understand the scales etc.. but I notice there are some references to forms that aren't here so wondered if you all just make up your own? I do have some ideas but didn't want to reinvent the wheel or make up my own if there was one I was supposed to use.

I am hoping to use the two tables that highlight the wellbeing and the involvement, now I can't see why I can't just start using this even though I haven't been to any training does anybody think there would be any problems?

I do have some concerns about making the 'right' judgement but I would imagine that is just being honest and practice

Hi Johanna, we started using it way before any training came out. I copied the grading pages, laminated them and put them on the wall. We just got used to checking it when we did an observation and used it like that, adding a sentence or two to show where the activity came on the scale.

I see no reason why you shouldn't have a go at it. You have read the accompanying materials and are as clued up as we were when we started. Just have a try, there's nothing to lose. It really makes you consider how involved the children are in the activities you provide, and how different this can be with the activities they choose for themselves. Then you use that information to improve your planned activities to tie into those sheer their involvement and well bring was highest.

• Like 2

U can use it but u need a deep understanding of what is a true level 4-5 and what the impact can be and what u can do about lower levels.

I tend now only to do individual levels , sometimes I will scan the group.

I see my setting in the terms of levels, I look at children and think that's a 4 that's a 5 :))

Then you use that information to improve your planned activities to tie into those sheer their involvement and well bring was highest.

I really must get used to proof reading when I use the iPad as it has other ideas about what I mean! Sorry about that!

Tie into those where their involvement .... I think I meant!

But yes, it's about a judgement, and you have to be honest, because sometimes it shows that it's what you have planned that isn't engaging the children as it should. It helps you to reflect on what you could do better.

• Like 1

Another big Leuven scales fan here too!

Johanna, I would just have a go with the scales, but I do also agree with suer, you do need to be clear about what a high score looks and feels like. It does take time to really distinguish between a clear 5 and the child who is busy but not really doing that much. (around a 3). In my experience, these children are often the ones we can miss in a busy setting, because they are always busy, don't bother anyone, and just get on with things. However, that doesn't mean they are highly engaged.

If you want to introduce a team approach to this, its a good idea if you can film a short session with one or two children and really discuss it as a team staff meeting. The more you can talk about what you have seen, the clearer your scoring becomes over time.

Go on, give it a go.

• Like 4

thank you all so much feeling very excited, talked to the team today and they are all on board so we are going to have a go. About to laminate grading pages!!!

we actually talked through examples of children and play experiences today and it did really help us to see which bit needs the focus

thanks again everyone

Edited by Johanna1
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I'm glad I stumbled across this tonight, I've just downloaded all the books off a belgium website and am going to be using it in my dissertation with primary research - really excitied to see that it works :-)

Guest sn0wdr0p

We have used them for some time and our local authority provides a lot of training about them for settings providing two year funding. They are a really useful tool and pretty quick to use.

I'm glad I stumbled across this tonight, I've just downloaded all the books off a belgium website and am going to be using it in my dissertation with primary research - really excitied to see that it works :-)

What books were these Taffygirl? have some booklets would they be the same thing or are there other book?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)