Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

What would you do? Hand muscles

Hi all

I was describing to a parent tonight about the different things that his daughter could do to strengthen the muscles in her hand and develop her fine motor control. At which he said "there are no muscles in the hand just tendons and ligaments." He said it in such a way that made him sound like he was a professional in this area. So, stupidly, I sort of accepted his comment and continued to describe what sorts of things she needed to do to develop her fine motor skills.

This bugged me until I got home - with all the reading I've done on fine-motor control, I was sure that there is a mention of muscles - in fact I've seen pictures. So of course, I came home and found these pictures and - I was right, there are muscles in your hand which children need to strengthen to develop their fine motor skills!

I'm so annoyed with myself for accepting this...I don't know what to say to this parent now! I feel he's gone away thinking that I don't know what I'm talking about. Would you correct him? Or just let it go? Don't really know how to deal with it.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Green Hippo x

Well wherever the muscles were located that gave her fine motor control, the same exercises would still be useful so I'd just keep talking about the exercises unless he openly challenged me again.

At that point I think I'd whip out the diagram I had printed off from a reputable website and show him what I meant on the muscles shown clearly in the hand :D

• Like 1

I got talking to a man in a pub a few weeks ago, said he was head of a secondary school. I asked if he supported his teachers who were going to be striking and he changed the subject. I laughed inside, he really wasn't head of anything!

Some people need to sound important, I'd ignore the fact he was wrong but always have a little internal smile whenever you see him. Lifes too short to let it bother you. ;)

• Like 3

Some people need to sound important, I'd ignore the fact he was wrong but always have a little internal smile whenever you see him. Lifes too short to let it bother you. ;)

I know that is the right answer Rea.........but I still need to learn that skill ;) so if it were me I would just have to send him the info with a cheery note! :rolleyes: :1b

I wonder how he thinks the tendons and ligaments work.. as the muscles are all part of the mechanics.. without them they would not be able to do their job...

I learnt very early on that it is sometimes easier to agree with a parent than to try to 'teach' them the correct information.. that can cause too mush hassle that I could do without, so I quietly agreed, then worked a different way to give the information I wanted.. bit like you did still giving the exercises and things to encourage her to do to refine her fine motor control without saying what it was she was actually strengthening . which is the muscles..

some parents just do not want to hear and like to think they know more then you do... for me it was enough to continue knowing that in fact they are not as knowledgeable as they think... like Rea a quiet chuckle and it was forgotten.

If it arose again I may well have a written information sheet to give out, that I had made.. showing the information i wanted to give.. including maybe a diagram of the hand and muscles to target... but it was often unlikely to arise again..

Edited by Inge

Can you put together a short information sheet/ booklet, with pictures of course, of the sort of thing you were talking to him about for all your parents and send it home?

Once sorted it could become a regular resource that you send home.

• Like 2

Can you put together a short information sheet/ booklet, with pictures of course, of the sort of thing you were talking to him about for all your parents and send it home?

Once sorted it could become a regular resource that you send home.

That's what I would do, an information sheet for all parents - but then I am a tad passive-aggressive :D

Or refer to and name the muscles she is using and working on in her learning journey with photos of her doing the various activities you are prescribing for her - he. Can then look it up himself and if he's man enough apologise!

Oh - grand idea! :1b

Just thought of another one. Guy in a pub telling me and my friend how rich he was and that he worked at the NEC doing big concerts. I asked him which bands he worked with because i'd been there a week before to see a one night only sell out gig. It went something like this 'so you're like a roadie?' 'yeah but more technical' 'so which bands have you worked with?' 'oh loads' 'like who?' 'all the big ones' 'what was the last big one?' 'oh I can't remember, there's so many' 'ok our taxis here, bye' :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)