Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

'Personal Care' sign needed

I am looking at making a sign to indicate that nappy changing is taking place in the disabled toilet.

Does anyone have such a sign or can suggest how it could be worded?

Thank you!

I agree that I would be looking for a way to keep the practitioner visible from outside the room while still protecting the child's privacy. As a childminder, for me, that meant changing children on the floor in a space at the bottom of our stair which no other child should have a reason to go through. In a nursery where I worked this meant keeping the door open and using a changing unit with the child's head and the practitioner facing towards to door which meant there was very little in terms of the nappy area visible from the corridor.

Lots of talking and singing also alerted those passing that there was a nappy change in progress.

• Like 1

Why close the door? Better for safe guarding to keep it open, just a thought

The door IS always open! We would never close the door :o- however, it was suggested that a sign would also be useful - I didn't question this, just assumed it was general practice; I have also seen mention of such signage when researching policies and procedures used by others.

I wouldn't want to discourage a 3 year old child from using the toilet because nappy changing is going on (although in my nursery that is not now applicable as a decision has been made to use the spacious disabled toilet which is far more appropriate!).

Edited by Guest

Oh crumbs, we are almost implying that changing a child is something out of the ordinary, and although of course we should try to protect a child's privacy and the adult whilst doing so, do we really need to go to such lengths as the cardboard box, very unhygienic in my opinion, as well as two staff, etc, I think the world's going a bit bonkers with it all.

Well we are in the real world at our preschool, with a changing mat on the floor, just like many many families do at home.

Sorry rant over.:(

• Like 4

As have mentioned before we are mat on floor in gents loo. Children use ladies loos and we use disabled loo

Not a problem for ofsted

Misunderstood re sign thought it was to say change in progress stay out. My mistake

A nursery I know has a sign that says 'care suite'

Thanks for your replies everyone! Perhaps a sign is a bit OTT and not needed at all since the door will be open and it should be quite clear that a child is being changed! :1b

Guest colechin

We operate with a baby changing table in the children's toilets and allow the other children to still have access to the toilets if need be.

We also make sure 2 members of staff are present at time of changing nappy or even if we have to change wet clothes. One member of staff carries out the duties, while the other member of staff observes and fills out a chart, which states the date, time, if they were wet or soiled, which staff were present at changing time, child's own nappies used or nurseries or if own clothes or nurseries used and then we get the parent or carer to sign upon collection of the child.