Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Lots of children transporting!

radish

Hello All,

We are deparately needing some help as nearly all our children are into transporting equipment - everything is moved. Along with all the equipment being completely mixed up we are finding playdough in the carft drawers, sand in handbags etc. Does anyone have any ideas to help us keeping some order within the group without stifling the children's fun.

Thanking you

We kind of have the same 'problem' but it's been going on for ages. Wherever we put our role play area, children always pack everything into bags and move it to another area, usually the book corner or 'interest' area. We've had a few changes of room layout but it still happens. New children start and still do it! We've resigned ourselves to the fact that this is what they want to do and we go with the flow.

I think as long as resources aren't becoming lost or damaged, let them transport. Sand in handbags though...maybe you could decide what can be transported and what can't. We do allow playdough to be used in other areas, but I think we'd draw the line at sand being carried around (ours don't do this, they're too busy removing every last item out of the role play!!)

With the sand thing, could you provide resources for transporting or moving sand but keeping it in that area, e.g. tubes to pour it down, boxes to fill, scoops to move it with?

• Like 3

Sand is the only resource that I do not allow to be 'transported' :o it was being transported to the playdough area far too often for my liking xD

But apart from the 'sand ban' I welcome a bit of 'transporting' - these children are showing schematic behaviour - all good stuff! :1b

Just get them to help with the big 'sort out' when play has finished :1b

There is super book available 'Again, again' - author's name(s) has/have fallen out of my head :blink: but I would recommend - if you don't have a copy already :1b

• Like 1

Love a schema

we let them move stuff around its really important to let them all do this let alone the ones that display this schematic behaviour

Stella Louis does a good book called again and again, I think

Edited by Suer

It's absolutely fine to set a few 'ground rules' such as the sand having to stay in the sand area. After all, if all the sand disappears then there will be none for them to play with! I think it's also important to teach them that the equipment will need to be tidied up at the end ;)

• Like 2

Agree with setting the 'boundaries' as a team as to what can and can't be transported - you'll not win by stopping them; they just find other ways so might as well facilitate them - it's fab!

have you thought about also having a small cosy area that has nothing in/empty/no focus? Somewhere they can have ownership of, just 'to be' with all their belongings...we find this is very well utilised, though it takes a while to stop feeling guilty about having a 'blank space'!

We often wonder are they also transporting away from 'our' set up area because that's not how they envision their current play. eg Books are never read in the book area, always carried off to somewhere random where they are then poured over and enjoyed - doesn't matter how many configurations of a book area we've had!

have you thought about also having a small cosy area that has nothing in/empty/no focus? Somewhere they can have ownership of, just 'to be' with all their belongings...we find this is very well utilised, though it takes a while to stop feeling guilty about having a 'blank space'!

I absolutely love that idea gingerbreadman :1b I am going to try that............pssst hope you don't mind I will have to tell my staff that it's your fault :ph34r: they might have a wee problem with yet another 'idea'! ;)xDxDxD

we have a cozy corner with nothing other mat and cushions in and that is exactly what its for great area to use

but the transporting goes on though out the areas except for sand pit out side, cant afford to loose a ton of sand!!!

I absolutely love that idea gingerbreadman :1b I am going to try that............pssst hope you don't mind I will have to tell my staff that it's your fault :ph34r: they might have a wee problem with yet another 'idea'! ;)xDxDxD

hahaha! xD Feel free Sunnyday - I know exactly where you are coming from - I blame the advisor's when I'm guilty of throwing new ideas in to the mix lol!!

Win them over with 'it's one less area to 'dress'!