Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child not attending Headcount week

Panders

Just heard from a new starter, older sister needs to go to Brazil (mum's home country) as she has treatment there for an on-going health condition which cannot be treated by nhs here and parents can't afford to go privately here.

Anyway - mum intends to take our little starter her brother with her to Brazil and so won't be able to start until 7th Oct. If I can prove why he is not with us, will we still get his funding? don't mind if they deduct a month but wouldn't want family to miss out for rest of term, in fact, i think she would then delay until January.

When's your headcount day? I 'know someone' who has arranged for the register to reflect a child is in attendance if headcount was the week before they could start due to holiday, late registering, new to area ;)

Trouble with all of this is......what if his sisters medical treatment takes longer and they are delayed in coming back?? Can you put him down as a late starter when he does eventually return?? Our LEA allows for this. You can't get the money until the following term, but you WILL get it. I'd be honest about it, call them up to see what they say

Yes I think I will have to make the call tomorrow. I think this little chap will be away for too long really. His sister's condition is a strange one really - it stems from food allergies, but nobody in the nhs would appear to want to know any longer - they all feel the mother is way too anxious about it all, this has been going on since she was a baby and the child is now about 8 I believe but there is a doctor in Brazil who is treating her and the mother feels this is working hence the trip again. There is only a slight possibility of delay in return I think, but it is finances again - she has been waiting until this little boy gets funded to send him, but maybe they could fund a term themselves for a couple of sessions per week anyway.

We had this issue last year.

Our LEA were very understanding and paid the funded hours for the weeks the family were away as long as the family had put in writing that they would not be in for the dates and sessions in question and could give a reason why.

Hope that helps

• Like 1

Yes I think I will have to make the call tomorrow. I think this little chap will be away for too long really. His sister's condition is a strange one really - it stems from food allergies, but nobody in the nhs would appear to want to know any longer - they all feel the mother is way too anxious about it all, this has been going on since she was a baby and the child is now about 8 I believe but there is a doctor in Brazil who is treating her and the mother feels this is working hence the trip again. There is only a slight possibility of delay in return I think, but it is finances again - she has been waiting until this little boy gets funded to send him, but maybe they could fund a term themselves for a couple of sessions per week anyway.

In my area if you have a space available you would be expected to give it to the child and just forfeit the funding you would not be able to charge parents for the space because they have started late. I thought this was the same everywhere.

I think you will find that each County puts its own spin on what the Government decrees must happen, but in this particular case I did ring to check with our Financial bods. As we know, there are new Government guidelines out now and Counties are getting ready to write to their providers with the changes that will occur.

My Finance office have said, because he has never claimed before, we are to view it that he has just moved into the area and requires a place in October, we can then apply for him on a separate basis once he is with us.

My Finance office have said, because he has never claimed before, we are to view it that he has just moved into the area and requires a place in October, we can then apply for him on a separate basis once he is with us.

Oh that's good to know! :1b

That must indeed be 'because he has never claimed before' - they wouldn't let me increase a child's claim by just one session from a half-term last year :( I thought that pretty mean actually :ph34r:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest youngrisers

as far as I can read into this query, our authority will pay the claim if the child is registered prior to attending. It seems so many children are travelling back home now for various reasons including the very nature of the certain ethnic families.

We have children who dip in and out of the setting and who are registered on our books from day one. Many miss head count week but are eligible for funding so we expect their monies to appear. certain groups are allowed travelling away from the setting by the LEA so It depends on where they are going. Our Roma children and traveller groups spend many weeks going home to their country of origin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)