Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

two year checks again

Hi All

I am having a major overhaul of what we do (as my other posts recently show lol) but was thinking this morning we have two groups of children that start in our setting. The ones that are coming on the term they are three and the ones that start the term after with the funding. Now often both these groups have never been anywhere before so have never had a two year check. They often do go to other nurseries and still haven't had one!!

So we used to do them for the children that are starting the term of their third birthday thinking better late than never, but the other group used we didn't as we did a narrative style report on all seven areas at the end of each term so they were picked up then. Now though we have decided we are not going to do the narrative style report (we will of course still chart progress every term) but we wont do these reports till the end of the year!

So my question do we have to do the two year checks? I think I may still say yes for the children who start on the term they are three for all the reasons we did before but what about the others?

Any ideas? does anybody else run like we do and not do them at all we are just a pre-school not a nursery.

If they are 3 already when they join our pre-school I haven't been doing them. I have noticed though that this cohort coming in have had 2 year checks done by health visitors, whereas last year they had not even been offered a 2 year check. I think if when we have 3 year olds start, and we immediately see something we are concerned about we would get a 2 year check done asap.

My granddaughter's Health Visitor 2 year check amounted to one line in her red book after a few questions to her mum - "Has met all milestones so far". If only ours was as simple!

• Like 1

It has been made quite clear to us that we MUST do checks on any child who starts before they are 3 (even if a day before!!). We had in fact been leaving it until the term that they turn 3 but we have now decided to do it as soon as we have sufficient information. All our other children get a report 3 times a year but the size and scale of this has been dramatically cut down and is firmly based on their progress from their learning stories in that term

• Like 2

we will do the same as u Finleysmaid only we have been told to do this with the health visitor how we will all be able to meet inclusive of parents for all our children I don't know. I am afraid I laughed when our advisor told us this . We have to contact each HV for each child tell them we are going to do this try to find a mutual time/place and work together to fill in our check. There is a huge shortage of HV in our area a lot of our parents have not even met one before they attend our setting so really not sure we can meet this. If this is being advocated in each setting for every child in our area I can see that the over stretched HV objecting to this. I think it is very important to work with the HV especially if there is extra needs involved but really cant see this happening or how .

We do try to work together but there's no way we could do all two year checks with the HV. We ask parents to bring the paperwork from the check they do with the HV so we can compare notes. We speak to the HV on the phone (with parents' permission) if we have any concerns.

we will do the same as u Finleysmaid only we have been told to do this with the health visitor how we will all be able to meet inclusive of parents for all our children I don't know. I am afraid I laughed when our advisor told us this . We have to contact each HV for each child tell them we are going to do this try to find a mutual time/place and work together to fill in our check. There is a huge shortage of HV in our area a lot of our parents have not even met one before they attend our setting so really not sure we can meet this. If this is being advocated in each setting for every child in our area I can see that the over stretched HV objecting to this. I think it is very important to work with the HV especially if there is extra needs involved but really cant see this happening or how .

:o :blink: I'm just off to head my head on something hard - why on earth would you need to do this with a HV?

As you say important to work together if there are any additional needs, but I seriously can't see why you would need to otherwise - am I missing something? :blink:

• Like 2

I do 2 yr checks but not if the child is going to be 3 by end of term 1 , we really don't know the child well enough to make that judgement call. Most children especially the 2 yr olds take a while to settle, some are only attending 2 mornings.

We complete ours at end of term 1 or beginning of term 2

I actually think there a waste of time, none of the ones done last year were shared. My parents don't see the HV after their developmental check done in this area before the age of 2 .

I do 2 yr checks but not if the child is going to be 3 by end of term 1 ,

I feel the same as you but our lea has been very clear that we need to do this and when i re-read the statotory guidance it would suggest the same.

I actually think there a waste of time, none of the ones done last year were shared. My parents don't see the HV after their developmental check done in this area before the age of 2 .

I agree...we have always flagged up issues as soon as we feel able and when we have a good relationship with the parents , this now forces me to have this conversation at possibly inappropriate times. None of my children have had 2 year old checks this year by the HV...will see what the new intake has been up to!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)