Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Any new role play ideas?

Am looking for new ideas as to what to make the role play area into for the beginning of term for our nursery children. Typical home corner style is not inspiring me and what to do something different. We have our normal All about me type of topic, but any new creative ideas would be much appreciated!!

How about something they would be able to relate to but access in a different way to how they would in the 'real world' like a hairdressers, supermarket, take away, train/ bus station, maternity ward (could link to My Family).

Or you could go for a holiday theme e.g. beach, seaside shop, airport - could inspire lots of lovely recall. That could depend on the children you have and whether they would have experienced those places over the holiday.

One thing we tried was moving away from the general home corner and focused on specific rooms such as the bathroom, the kitchen. This was very popular!

Not amazingly creative I'm afraid but a few ideas!

• Like 1

We are asking parents for shoes to do a shoe shop, very relevant at this time of year with back to school, and also jewellery to do a jewellers. we also have a hair dressers, we asked our local college if we could have some of their 'heads' that the hair dressing students practise on!

• Like 1

Last year we had a party room. Linked with a myself topic as focus on birthdays and also a celebration of starting school. Lots of fantastic talk and something they could all relate too on their first day.

Oh I agree, we have a box of birthday bits we can put out as soon as there is a sniff of the children pretending to have a birthday down in the home corner.

Last term, we could quite easily have had a role play area as a dog kennel, the amount of girls, and it was only girls, who wanted to be a dog, we did have a temporary cardboard box made into a kennel for a week or so, for "Dotty", great fun.

• Like 1

Lol HelenD26 we had that as well, walking round with dolls stuffed up their t-shirts, one of the girls was laid on a mat like this when a little lad went and got a play dough press out.....sure he'd been watching 'one born every minute' and intended it to be a forceps delivery :o

• Like 1

Lol HelenD26 we had that as well, walking round with dolls stuffed up their t-shirts, one of the girls was laid on a mat like this when a little lad went and got a play dough press out.....sure he'd been watching 'one born every minute' and intended it to be a forceps delivery :o

mouse63 - it wasn't only dolls they had stuffed up their t-shirts. I vividly remember one girl giving birth to a very prickly rabbit ornament and wincing! My favourite moment though was a conversation I had with some boys who were playing spies on the other side of the room. When I asked what they were spying on the answer was "the girls!". What are they doing? I asked. I received a roll of the eyes and "talking and having babies!"

• Like 1

ozboz...i'm probably not going to give you the answer you want....does it matter if you are not inspired? surely it should be about what the children need and i really feel that at the beginning of term they need a home...somewhere to feel comfy and cosy, to play with things they have seen before when everything around them can seem so alien. They need to copy regular routines, to cook like Daddy, to use the phone like mum etc etc...so maybe give the home corner another go? if you look at irresistible play based learning they have lots of links to nurseries ...most have home corners....might give you some inspiration?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)