Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Does anyone know anything about this?!

15. The DfE is in the process of making changes to the statutory framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage and, more importantly, to the non-statutory guidance Development matters. When these changes have been finalised separate guidance will be provided for inspectors on the implications of the changes.

This was pointed out in one of my tweets this morning, I've pasted the above paragraph from an Ofsted resource document on inspecting schools.

Actually having just read the document again I think it's probably from last year, it says at the top updated Aug 2013, so it's about the changes being made last year.(hopefully!!!!).

http://eyfs.info/forums/topic/37804-changes-to-the-statutory-framework-and-assessment/

For part of my comments!

With the introduction of "More great everything that moves" and the changes to the regulatory frameworks for Early Years Registered providers then there will be changes. The DfE seems determined to strip back everything to the legalities and nothing else. Don't forget that Development Matters was brought in because of pressure from the sector at the last minute when we had the revised EYFS in 2012. The DfE didn't want any guidance on the EYFSP but that was won by pressure from the sector as well.

As long as you are meeting the statutory requirements which are quite clear in terms of the Learning and Development Requirements section of the EYFS Framework you can do it however you wish. Maybe everyone uses Dev matters and forgets that the actual curriculum for under 5's is sitting in the statutory framework?

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It has been dropped in under the radar hasnt it!!!

It seems that the current government doesn't really value early years. They seem to think structure and formal learning are the only way and will ensure that we go back years and years in how we teach children under 5 years

One wonders are we about to see reception moved back out of EYFS into KS1? Maybe even bringing back baseline assessment through testing ?

What thoughts have others on this??

We had our first ofted inspection on Monday and our inspector told us that the Dfes is in the middle or re-writing the development matters and a new one should be published by the end of this year. She said it would all change again......

Deep sigh........but thanks for the info :1b

I'm really not sure. At first glance it looked to me as if it was a slightly drier version of the DM statements. Appearance wise it certainly fits with the DfE publications rather than being more similar to the old National Strategies type documents.

It has been dropped in under the radar hasnt it!!!

It seems that the current government doesn't really value early years. They seem to think structure and formal learning are the only way and will ensure that we go back years and years in how we teach children under 5 years

One wonders are we about to see reception moved back out of EYFS into KS1? Maybe even bringing back baseline assessment through testing ?

What thoughts have others on this??

Afraid the DfE is well ahead on you with that idea. It's out for consultation as we type.

Cx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)