Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

thinking so hard ive confused myself

Hi

I read a post about Ofsted inspectors not referring to development matters so much (I think that was it?)

Quotes below....

"Inspectors should be aware that ‘Development Matters in the Early Years Foundation Stage’ has been produced as a supporting document for providers. It is not statutory."

'Inspectors should not refer to Development Matters in their evidence although they may wish to check development milestones to assess how children are progressing.'

'Inspectors may also wish to include some reference to developmental bands as part of their evidence of observations of tracked children'

I understand that they cannot use the wording from DM in their report however how much should we be referring to it? They say practitioners rely to heavily on it. In my setting we use it as a guide alongside our knowledge of how children develop.

I know DM is not compulsory but our systems are built around this and use DM as guidance. Is this right?

Soooo confused!! :(

You can do what you want. Inspectors will look at whatever you have so carry on. As you were!!

Because it is non statutory, it isn't a document that can be the focus of a regulatory framework where people might use something else instead.

Cx

Because they are the statutory bits of the learning and development requirements - The educational programmes, the characteristics and the ELGs are all statutory bits. The ages and stages of DM are not!

1.2 The EYFS learning and development requirements comprise:
• the seven areas of learning and development and the educational programmes (described below);
• the early learning goals, which summarise the knowledge, skills and understanding that all young children should have gained by the end of the Reception year; and
• the assessment requirements (when and how practitioners must assess children’s achievements, and when and how they should discuss children’s progress with parents and/or carers).

1.10 In planning and guiding children’s activities, practitioners must reflect on the different ways that children learn and reflect these in their practice. Three characteristics of effective teaching and learning are:

• playing and exploring - children investigate and experience things, and ‘have a go’;
• active learning - children concentrate and keep on trying if they encounter difficulties, and enjoy achievements; and
• creating and thinking critically - children have and develop their own ideas, make links between ideas, and develop strategies for doing things.

• Like 1

Well they're the statutory educational programmes which define what children must be taught -

1.6 Educational programmes must involve activities and experiences for children, as follows.
• Communication and language development involves giving children opportunities to experience a rich language environment; to develop their confidence and skills in expressing themselves; and to speak and listen in a range of situations.

And so on.

How we ensure that children achieve this by achieving the ELGs which will reflect the content of the educational programmes is up to us

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...