Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New staff

Hi all

We have been looking for a new qualified member of staff for 1 session a week, and this is proving to be very difficult- no one has replied!

One of our lovely parents has offered to work this session (unqualified) and she has helped us before on a voluntary basis. I have said yes and agreed to pay her and put her on a temporary contract for 3 months, hopefully we will find a qualified member of staff before then!

She is happy for this and said she will help wherever she can. I have agreed to pay her for the hours worked and give a contract as I feel people are often more committed when they are being paid.

I will be doing an induction pack and talking through policies etc. on her first day.

I am getting her a DBS check done. But do I need to do an interview and ask for references before giving her the temporary contract?

Also, am I right in thinking we can count her in ratios, even if she is unqualified as I have a degree and eyps and my other member of staff has level 3?

Sorry for the long post :1b

Oh dear, klc106 I would love a one-day-a-week job. Bit of a commute for me though!

I think you need to proceed in the same way as if you were recruiting a permanent member of staff, so I'd say you definitely need to do interviews and take up references.

Not sure about ratios - no doubt someone more clued up than me will be along shortly! :1b

• Like 1

you need to put those things in place before her starting and really a regular parent helper should have had these things done already, volunteers should be treated as paid staff in terms of checks, policies etc.

I personally would no employ staff for one session, it is not I feel enough to get to know the setting, the children and feel part of a team.

Also one session is probably not enough of work for someone to do, which maybe why you have not had any one come forward.

yes she can be counted in ratios

good luck

She was not a regular volunteer before, just odd days on trips or special events.

I know what you mean Suer but we just cannot afford to employ someone for anymore than one session a week. We only have 1 child over ratio on this one day which I why I am looking!

Thanks

Edited by klc106

yes, do references.. and get her to do an application form.. , we used to do an informal style interview for the parents who did this with us... and I must say some of the best staff were recruited this way.. did training and ended up as full time staff members..

some worked one day paid and more as unpaid volunteers to get the hours needed to complete the training.. we paid them when in ratio..

• Like 4

I also have a member of staff only doing 1 session a week, plus cover should anyone else be off.

She was a very active and valuable member of our committee until her child left and would always offer her help if I put a note on the door asking for parent help for a session. She's not worked since having her own children, her eldest now 14 and youngest 4, and has no childcare qualifications but she fits in with us like a dream.

We have looked into training for her, as she was willing to do it - but she will have to pay for it, and it's in the thousands so there is no way either her or us can afford to pay for it :( She will however do all the mandatory training that we all have to do.

So would you get her to fill in an application form?

She was self-employed before children, so do you think character references will be enough?

I would have the application form done and character references in place... I had to do one for the local children's centre as a volunteer for 2 days a month.

It is to show they are suitable for working with children , they will be seen by children and parents as a person to trust.. so you need to ensure they are..and show what you did to come to that conclusion.

I also find it very sad that training is now being priced so high that these more mature / parents who in the past have become a huge part of the workforce are now unable to afford to do it.. I can foresee a time when the staffing becomes harder as less people become trained later in life.. like many of us have done after or via our own children in a setting, as a second or new career path..

Edited by Inge
  • Like 1

I would have the application form done and character references in place... I had to do one for the local children's centre as a volunteer for 2 days a month.

It is to show they are suitable for working with children , they will be seen by children and parents as a person to trust.. so you need to ensure they are..and show what you did to come to that conclusion.

I also find it very sad that training is now being priced so high that these more mature / parents who in the past have become a huge part of the workforce are now unable to afford to do it.. I can foresee a time when the staffing becomes harder as less people become trained later in life.. like many of us have done after or via our own children in a setting, as a second or new career path..

Thanks for that Inge

I agree ref the training - out of a team of 6 we have 4 who all trained after getting involved first as parents, then as committee and then as volunteers, so sad

Thanks for that Inge

I agree ref the training - out of a team of 6 we have 4 who all trained after getting involved first as parents, then as committee and then as volunteers, so sad

this was the same for us as County could /would not fund for level 2 which i think is best before going into level 3 for some people until I had a meeting with local college re an apprentice who has been volunteering and wishes to pursue child care as a career - i happen to mention about my more mature staff and hey bingo - as part of the Adult skills initiative there is full funding for level 2 via the college and for level 3 they can apply for a student loan - to be paid back when they are earning £22k - as I said to her - no chance of that in this career !! so looks like we will be able to put a couple of staff forward - enquire about this at your local college

• Like 3

this was the same for us as County could /would not fund for level 2 which i think is best before going into level 3 for some people until I had a meeting with local college re an apprentice who has been volunteering and wishes to pursue child care as a career - i happen to mention about my more mature staff and hey bingo - as part of the Adult skills initiative there is full funding for level 2 via the college and for level 3 they can apply for a student loan - to be paid back when they are earning £22k - as I said to her - no chance of that in this career !! so looks like we will be able to put a couple of staff forward - enquire about this at your local college

Thanks for the info- How long ago was this?

We were told this info about 3 weeks before we broke up for summer.

I agree that it is difficult to recruit staff for just one session - we had people applying who worked in other settings and had had their hours cut, which didn't really help us as we wanted someone who could be available for other days as sickness / training cover. I would interview and take refs just as if it was a more permanent role.

Jo