Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Next steps- pse and cll

Hi

We currently review our children's next steps every half term and set new ones if necessary. They all have one next step for each area of learning.

I am thinking that we don't always need one for all areas of learning, as PSE and CLL are area's that are supported and encouraged all the time when playing with and talking to the children. Also, they can't really be planned for with regards to setting up an activity to encourage them as all activities should promote social and communication skills anyway.

Do you all plan next steps for PSE and CLL?

sometimes I may plan for say group activities to promote friendships if a child is new or struggles to break into established friendship groups. I also take into account children who may need to extend language (although this may be more though IEP rather than general planning) Is that the kind of thing you mean??

Yes we do that too. We have a couple of children with speech difficulties so I would plan a next step for them, and like you say it will be on their IEP also.

We have a sheet in each child's learning journey stating their next steps and then use these as a basis for planning Child initiated and adult led activities.

I just wondered if other have a specific next steps for all children for PSE and CLL?

I am school based, so it may be different. I have a class list with each child's current next steps on, the next steps are those that matter to that particular child. So whilst one child may have no pse next steps because they are ticking along nicely, others may have 3 pse and no literacy targets because we need to work on that first. Most children have between 4 and 7 next steps each spanning 4,5,6 or 7 areas, it's very needs based. We use these to plan the CP but also each adult has these to hand when on play support so that the can weave these into the children's play using whatever they choose to play with. Hope that makes sense.

• Like 3

That's how I was thinking of doing it Rufus as we have some children who are where they need to be in CLL and PSE but lower in things like EAD and UW so I was going to plan extra next steps for these?

Rufus, I really like the sound of this. I've felt a little this year as if I knew what my children's next steps were very clearly for the Literacy and Maths aspects but not so much the others and it's all in my head. If I get run over by a bus...

I also feel that my provision is matched to objectives which are obviously linked to next steps but not very explicitly.

Can I ask how often do you update them?

So many things I still never feel I'm good enough at - still onwards and upwards!

Rufus, I really like the sound of this. I've felt a little this year as if I knew what my children's next steps were very clearly for the Literacy and Maths aspects but not so much the others and it's all in my head. If I get run over by a bus...

I also feel that my provision is matched to objectives which are obviously linked to next steps but not very explicitly.

Can I ask how often do you update them?

So many things I still never feel I'm good enough at - still onwards and upwards!

At the beginning of the year I probably update them more frequently because the next steps are often in smaller chunks and more easily achieved, so I probably update them every 5 weeks. However into the spring and summer term it I update them every 6/7 weeks. Sometimes I just replace some as and when they need replacing. I find this really helps with play support....however much we tailor the provision to the next steps, what we want is children to do their own things with the provision so often they alter the outcome and activity. I find by working this way, it is down to the adults to skillfully weave the next steps into the play, following the children's agenda.
  • Like 2

I see next steps in pse and language as often being for the adults as in "what will we do to move this further along", which Rufus exemifies in the last post.

Planning for adult behaviours is equally as important as for children's experiences.

• Like 2

I see next steps in pse and language as often being for the adults as in "what will we do to move this further along", which Rufus exemifies in the last post.

Planning for adult behaviours is equally as important as for children's experiences.

Absolutely - and another useful phrase that helps me think about how to do things. Lucky I'm the only adult whose behaviour I have to plan for!

Rufus - thank you, that seems manageable. I think I was overwhelming myself with the possibility of changing things every week and I know I'd never manage it even with the small class I have.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)