Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who writes the report?

I have a child who only attends once a week ( if we're lucky) and has spent more time at a day nursery than at our Pre-school. She is going up to foundation, next door, in September. Who should provide the report?

My colleague thought that wasn't the case with transition reports after I hadn't completed a report for her as I had the same belief, that the other setting should do it. Maybe I should check with them..

I used to tell the setting where the child spent most time to do one...( not ask. if I asked they always said you do it... ;);) .. )

I did not do one but in a covering letter with the reports I sent in informed the school that xxx would be doing the report as child spent more time in that setting..

please DONT do two reports...it is really confusing for the parents. This child might behave very differently in one setting than the other...or your judgements (because the haven't been moderated ) will be different> it may make you both look a bit silly (this is the voice of experience!!) if possible ring them and tell them what you would like to add as additional info to the report

• Like 2

But surely you will have been in contact with the other setting all throughout her time with you? You should know if they have a completely different view of the child. Won't the parents will also have had some developmental reports from both of you already? I only have 1 child moving up this year who does 1 1/2 days with us and 3 at a day nursery but I will be sending a transition summary - in fairly general terms. The reception teacher though, has only had contact with us so has based her opinion so far on what we have told her - it would be interesting to see what the nursery will say in their transition report!

Yes I agree. If you have worked with the other setting and shared info on the child in the time she has been with both of you, I would ask them to write the report and tell them what you would like to add.

I have many children coming to me in reception from 2 and sometimes 3 settings and i always get transition documents from all settings. it is my understanding that the filling in of the transition document is a requirement linked to pre school funding in our area anyway. (found this out when one of my feeder settings refused to fill out transition documents one year and i approached the EYA and she told me this that they had to do it)

deb

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)