Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Log it, log it, log it!

sunnyday

I'm sure that you all log conversations - but just in case a reminder!!! :1b

Having a few 'issues' with one of my boys - he will be leaving us at the end of term - transition to Primary school.

These 'issues' are an ongoing problem and have been the subject of many conversations over the past year - this is conversations with his parents and with his nursery........

Had to call mum this morning - won't go into details - not important - anyway dad was waiting to speak to me after the session - no problem at all - they are very nice people (if a little misguided :ph34r: ) - we had a pleasant conversation and then he said and I quote,,,,,

"We really wish you had mentioned this to us six months ago and then there would have been time to sort this out"

:o:o:o WHAT?! :o:o:o

Moral of this tale - log it, log it and log it!!! Guess what - I have! :rolleyes: I have emails, written notes of conversations, copies of IEPs - yay! :1b

• Like 5

Oh well done :) and dads reaction?

Not much really Rea........

Have been thinking about all of this whilst cutting my grass - always do some good thinking when involved in some mindless garden task! Anyway - I was thinking -what is it about me that makes them think I 'came down in the last shower of rain'! :blink: xDxDxD

Isn't it hard sometimes to know when/how to log some things? A few times in the last year I have done a friendly reassuring 'X had a bit of a bump today all investigated, nothing untoward caused it, tiny mark has been fine all afternoon' chat with one parent only to have the other parent launching into a full on rant about lack of supervision etc etc etc. I hasten to add that supervision wasn't inadequate and that I had recorded what had happened according to all our procedures. I really did only have an intention of being reassuring and if it hadn't been early on in the school year I very probably wouldn't have felt that it merited a conversation at all.

Isn't it hard sometimes to know when/how to log some things? A few times in the last year I have done a friendly reassuring 'X had a bit of a bump today all investigated, nothing untoward caused it, tiny mark has been fine all afternoon' chat with one parent only to have the other parent launching into a full on rant about lack of supervision etc etc etc. I hasten to add that supervision wasn't inadequate and that I had recorded what had happened according to all our procedures. I really did only have an intention of being reassuring and if it hadn't been early on in the school year I very probably wouldn't have felt that it merited a conversation at all.

It is hard Helen........personally I wish some parents would stop treating their offspring like little 'princes' (or princesses whichever the case may be!)

Not only but also :blink: I wouldn't have dreamt of asking Mr S to speak on my behalf when our boys were at school........

I knew only too well that I needed to log anything and everything with this particular child - I expect some 'feedback' - no that's not the right word - hmmm - there will be the same issues at school and I want to have everything to hand when this happens (perhaps it won't - oh yes it will!) i have invested so much time in this child - all of it well spent - he has come on in leaps and bounds with us.........but parents have their eyes closed - or perhaps are just in complete denial.......

Hey ho - all part of the average day! :1b

Absolutely Sunnyday! What I realised I missed out above was that the parent I spoke to was absolutely fine, quite happy with my response, friendly, smiley etc. The ranty one was what we got faced with the following morning. I got to dread having any conversation with that family because I never knew what was going to happen.

Makes me sad because I had a conversation with my sister last night about some things that have been happening between my nephew and another child and I was reassuring her that it was perfectly appropriate to mention to his teacher. My sister didn't want to be seen as making a fuss!

Glad you've had everything logged in this case and thanks for the reminder!

Edited by HelenD26
  • Like 1

Makes me sad because I had a conversation with my sister last night about some things that have been happening between my nephew and another child and I was reassuring her that it was perfectly appropriate to mention to his teacher. My sister didn't want to be seen as making a fuss!

Oh that is sad - hope she does speak up - working in partnership and all that :1b

I know, and I think she does a brilliant job of being a mummy (and that's not just because she's my sister!). She was telling me that she'd been talking to him about how to 'fend off nasty words' from others and told him to imagine an umbrella that stops rain and nasty words getting to him.

• Like 1

I know, and I think she does a brilliant job of being a mummy (and that's not just because she's my sister!). She was telling me that she'd been talking to him about how to 'fend off nasty words' from others and told him to imagine an umbrella that stops rain and nasty words getting to him.

Oh that's special - gosh hope those 'nasty words' are not too nasty........do you think his teacher is aware of what's happening - is this in break time???

I'm not sure, that's why I said she should mention it. However, brilliant the teacher they can't spot everything and some children are very good at subtle but hurtful 'digs'. I don't think anything too nasty at the moment but it has been increasing and the other child has been doing things like demand he share his lunch. Tricky for him to handle as he gets lots of 'important to share' messages from home and school and sharing food is very much a key part of his dad's cultural heritage. I don't think it's at bullying stage yet but it was ringing warning bells for me. My sister is being very understanding of some of the 'difficult background issues' the other child has which is great but I told her school still needed to be aware of it.

Hi

I've started to use tapestry to record conversations etc with parents. That way it is building an open record that the parents can update and add to if necessary. We even put IEPS and behaviour incidents on too - that way the whole child's records are there for parents to see.

It hasn't solved everything, but it has certainly helped and ensured parents have access to their whole child's file.

Good luck

X

• Like 1