Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

eeeek I have my first teaching job!

So thought would update you in that I finally have a job! I have been studying my EY PGCE and have 2 more weeks in school left followed by about a week in uni finishing off paperwork/ evidence etc. The job is at the school I'm currently teaching doing my last placement with, who heard I had an interview at another school nearby and (very unexpectedly) offered me the opportunity for an interview (for a KS1 position that had literally been confirmed as viable the previous evening) which I had in the afternoon and was shortly after offered the position!

I am so so excited and cannot wait to finally have my own class come September (although having moments of panic every so often!). A huge weight has been lifted with regards to job hunting and I feel so much more relaxed now. Just need to tick the right boxes with paperwork/ evidence etc (ooh and pass that dreaded Maths QTS test) and I am away :)

So I thought this thread might offer an opportunity to discuss golden rules of teaching (in the broadest sense!)- any do's and/or don'ts, general advice for an NQT/ setting up a new classroom/ meeting new class etc?

Congratulations!

Consistency, consistency, consistency!! If you say it will happen - make it happen. this particularly relates to behaviour management in the early days. There is often a honey moon period and then it can get tougher as you and the class bed in.

Also for yourself, pacing yourself. It's a marathon not a sprint!!

Cx

Edited by catma
  • Like 3

Congratulations :)

The only experience I have of the classroom was as a pupil but I would ditto Catma regarding behaviour, i'msure we all remember finding the chink in the new teachers armour ;)

Wasn't just me was it!? :-/:D

Also, find out who the "responsible body" for your NQT induction is - not your in school mentor etc but who is managing the process ie could be the LA but not necessarily now. Does the school buy into external NQT induction support/training? In my LA we offer sessions throughout the year, always on the same day of the week so NQTs often have their additional 10% reduction on a Tuesday so they can attend. I do the sessions for EYFS NQTs but there are also sessions for EYFS/Primary on many different topics.

Setting up classrooms - my advice is remodel it completely. This sets your stamp on the layout and gives you ownership of the space. Don't just keep it how the last teacher had it. Obviously some things work only in one place and now with IWBs for example, the mat doesn't move around that much but I think you need to make it your space not just inhabit the last teachers space. Think about the aesthetic of the room and get down on your knees to look at it from a child's height.

Read the school policies so you know what is expected and make friends with the admin team/school keeper. They are the key to getting anywhere and if you have them behind you generally anything can be done!!

As I think of more I'll add it!

Cx

Congratulations.

Any new venture is a bit scary, that's good! Be confident, the school obviously really like you and think you should/ will do well. Ask questions if you need to, have fun and take care!

Ah thank you all for your kind words and fab advice r.e. behaviour management and Catma on finding out NQT info and remodelling classroom (exciting prospect! and nice to hear encouragement to go for it so I can make it my own so thank you)- hopefully can get in there lots over summer and sort it out, change it up.

Will keep you posted on what's happening and no doubt be asking a million and one questions in due course! :D

I definitely echo the bit about making the classroom your own. I was only a mat cover last Sept and felt like I couldn't move things too much. But by Oct I got over that and it made teaching so much easier. Congratulations also. This time next year you'll be wondering where the time has gone but also feel like you've never done anything anything else!