Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Transition summaries and visits

Hi all

We have a few of our children (only 6!) moving onto school this September. 1 is hopefully going to a special school but the others are all going to the local school close to us.

Their new teacher is visiting them at our setting next Tuesday morning. She said its for an informal chat to us and the children so they get to know her a little bit. They are also going to the school with their parents for a couple of sessions in a few weeks.

I just wondered would you give their transition summary sheets to her when she visits or would you send them nearer to the end of term?

Its the first time any of our children have left to go to school because this is only our 2nd year of being open!

Hi - if they are ready then you could pass them to her when she visits......I'm sure she would appreciate that - but if they are not ready yet then nearer to end of term would be appropriate - a good few weeks to go yet! :1b

• Like 1

I would say that there's a lot of time for children to develop further yet, I would certainly show her what I had, and possibly ask her if she wants them now or later on, then the ball is in her court.

I know with mine that suddenly they seem to have "got it" with several things, and I would be a bit peeved if I had already given the transition paperwork to school when i could add more

• Like 1

We use this time for an 'informal chats and general observation' of children.

They look through our keypersons paperwork (with parents permission), and we- as staff discuss any concerns/worries with a 'no names- but watch where the eyes go' approach :o:oxDxD :lol:

We find this invaluable, especially when we have children with very slight concerns- but the parents will not accept. Nothing is done underhand- but the school are ready to put in any support quickly should it be needed as they've had a 'heads-up' as it were.

We do tell parents that the school are visiting etc, and check we can discuss the children, but at this point no formal paperwork is handed over.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)