Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

technology development matters help please

what does

• shows skill in making toys work by pressing parts or lifting flaps to achieve effects such as sound, movements or new images (30-50 BAND)

mean? any ideas? and ideas for resources to support it? HELP!!

I think of it to be electronic toys. A child may press certain buttons/lift flaps to achieve a certain response. For example, we have a peppa pig laptop and the little ones will just randomly press buttons whereas older children will play the games on the laptop and know which button is 'peppa pig' for example.

Not sure if this is right though!

cd player/noisy books/even lift the flap books and magic picture books then things like beebots/electronic recording devices and cameras. I agree it is the thought process you are after not just the random stabbing!! our favourites at the moment are the digital camera and talking pegs (available from TTS) which the children can record their own messages on or listen to a pre-recorded message.

well wildflower you are right of course that switching on a light is ICT ...knowing why and when you switch on a light and then how elecricity works would also be valuable lessons! Really i guess the curriculum is asking us to contemplate on cause and effect toys...we often use wooden equipment in our setting and i find we use evidence on things like marble runs and water walls for this area of DM. The DM's are there as a guideline for development the interpretation of them is sometimes seeing the bigger picture and what the child is learning not what they are using to learn.

Thinking about it ~ we don't have to provide electronic toys just because they are mentioned

in the development matters. Real life technology obviously is just as good, or better.

I completely get where you are coming from but I guess it is more practical for a child to spend time experimenting with a toy than some real life things like light switches.....be like a disco in the setting if a child stood there turning lights on and off for ages xD:DxD

Having said that things like when out of the setting pressing the button on the zebra crossing would be good and maybe supervised cooking activities....even something simple like using a toaster would be a good way of introducing the idea that pressing a button etc causes the equipment to do something.

But I do think basic ICT skills are a must for these little people who will be working and living in a world so led by technology that they will have to seek out activities that don't use technology.

• Like 1

omg. sometimes you forget the things you use regularly - torches/toaster/microwave/pelican crossings/key pad on door/photocopier!!!! thanks. lots of great ideas and food for thought!! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)