Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYP wages

I have just heard from the council that they will no longer be offering a payment each year for EYP retention due to the lovely funding cuts so I just wondered if anyone would share what they expect an EYP's hourly rate to be? or how much extra you would expect than a level 3 please?

I finish EYPS in July (Hopefully I will actually pass!!) I've gone the long route so it's taken 4 years to do the foundation degree then the BA alongside EYPS and although I have never been doing it for the money - who does do this job for the money! - I am getting paid the same now as when I was a level 3 so any thoughts would be helpful as I really don't know how much extra I should ask for - if any at all...... :D

unfortunately there is no pay scale and depends upon the setting you work in. I work for a LA and get no more money being an EYP to any of my colleagues who are level 3/4 - just depends how kind your management will be I think ;)

• Like 1

Poor you.:(

This has been my biggest worry in that all you fantastic practitioners have worked so hard to achieve your EYPS and will not get a wage increase to reflect this.( we all know you are not going to earns millions) but:

When will the government look at paying a decent wage to all in the childcare sector that truly recognises the great job you all do.

Sorry gets off soapbox, just trying so hard to jiggle finances to take into account minimum wage increase due in October, as well as recognising staffs commitment, it's a struggle.:(

Not really answered your question I'm afraid, hopefully someone will be along soon to advise you.

I am paid at a level 4 and have been since 2007, but now am EYPS with an honours degree (almost!!)

My wage is not likely to alter even given the degree and EYPS that i have now.

I feel better now though.

I feel I can hold my own and i have the education to go with my experience!!

It can be soul destroying but I figure the degree will always be there!

Some of this will really depend on what you are employed as...

while you have gained further qualifications, the job you are employed for has not changed, so in effect why should an employer pay more.. if it was for a new role or post then maybe the wage could reflect it more... other jobs don't suddenly offer a wage increase for doing the same job when they have added qualifications.. they have to apply for a new post that reflects the added qualifications. . .. ( I had to do that when nursing, any added training/experience, I was still employed in the same role unless I changed job) ... of course in this sector the wage seldom represents the job that is done in the first place, and in today's climate really cannot afford a higher wage.

• Like 2

Thanks all, I am the manager/supervisor/general dogsbody lol. I am with the children all of the time and paperwork etc is done in my own time. My deputy's have said about a pay rise but I wasn't really sure how much if any at all - I totally agree that my job will stay the same :)

Im afraid that my LEA have only ever paid me a supplement once and I was one of the early EYP's. Without funding, my pay has had to remain the same as all other qualified to NVQ3...unfortunate, but there's just not enough in the pot to go round I'm afraid.

In our area 3 year old funding is dependent on highest qualification so if someone completed EYTS regardless of their job description I would like to think they receive some of the additional funding.